New-- Sound changes in my Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RBiddulph, Jul 26, 2014.

1. RBiddulph

RBiddulph Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    Douglasville, GA
    I have 3 hens and 1 rooster. They're just about 4 months old, so I anticipate that they are on the brink of laying. However, recently they won't go inside their roosting box or nesting boxes... they all huddle in a corner of the pen that I have for them. Is this abnormal? Something I should be worried about? They do not free-range. Also, one of my hens, a Brahma, has been making a cooing sound instead of the usual chirp that she has previously made. Is this normal?? Thanks for any help!!

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yes, it sounds like your girls are getting close to laying! Mine are just about the same age as yours and I've noticed a distinct difference in the way they 'talk' to me. Now it's this cooing soothing sound...I love it! One of the best ways to tell if they're getting close is to slowly place the palm of your hand on their backs. If they immediately "squat" that is known as the 'submissive squat' and it's a telltale sign they're getting really close.

I noticed in your post that you say they are refusing to go in to the coop and stay in the pen? Do you put them in the coop at night?

3. RBiddulph

May 21, 2014
    Douglasville, GA
    Everything is attached. So they have a big square pen that has laying boxes on one side and a roosting box on the other side. They are free to go wherever they want any time during the day or night.

That makes me excited!!! I hope hope hope I get some eggs soon!! [​IMG]

4. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Can you post a pic of your setup for me? I'm confused when you say "box" .........

5. RBiddulph

May 21, 2014
    Douglasville, GA
    [​IMG]I'm at work and don't have many pictures. But this is the enclosure, it's about 9x9 and then behind them, to the left, is where the wall is cut out to be their little roosting box. It has a ramp to go up. Below, is a picture of the inside of the roosting box that I've made for them.
    [​IMG]

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Two months away from eggs based upon apparent maturity of birds pictured. Voice change noted occurs during juvenile stage about same time first adult flight feathers start coming into wings. Further voice changes to come and some likely to be realized even after first eggs are laid.

7. RBiddulph

May 21, 2014
    Douglasville, GA
    Yes I have seen lots of feathers floating around in my coop! I'm very excited about these changes! [​IMG]

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    They are likely consuming all but the stiffest flight feathers. Keep them on a grower feed until the first eggs are produced, then switch over to a layer type diet.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you have lots of ventilation in the coop(roosting box) where the roosts are? Probably pretty darn hot in GA......might just be more comfortable for them to stay outside....or there might be something that spooked them in the coop.

That chicken wire will not deter many predators, I'd keep them in something safer during the night at least.

10. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yes, absolutely!! Chicken wire is butter to raccoons, fox, weasel...you just about can name it...they'll tear through it like butter. Could very well be something came in and spooked your birds. Please re-think your setup. Me personally? I use nothing but 1/2" hardware cloth....everywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by