1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New South Gippsland, Victoria, Australian member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MulberryMews, Jan 29, 2014.

1. I've had chickens on and off for about 12 years. I say off because we have had a few fox raids. My sister rescued 10 day-olds for my birthday. Because they were hatchery birds they grew very quickly and died early, but I was already hooked. So despite the mishaps and the foxes I keep going and my favourite past-time is chicken watching.

I have had upto 24 hens, but right now I have 7 + 1 rooster and one 5 week baby. 5 of my hens are Isa Browns as I have a great source of egg buyers, but I love the mixed breeds of which my rooster is, being 1 of the survisors from the fox raid in August. We have a chicken auction close by on Sunday and I want to go. My husband has built a new hen house and wants some pure breeds for raising. (but guess who will have to look after them?)

Most of my current chickens wander in the house when ever they like. They share my small farm with alapcas, a bengal cat named India and a sometimes a dog. India loves to play with the chickens and it is fun to watch. She has been pecked a few times so she respects them and I am very comfortable leaving them roam together. India can often be found in the hen house catching mice.

I found BackYardChickens because I was looking at incubators. The idea of having 3 hens and a rooster of a specific breed is for the breeding program and sales. Not sure what breed to go for.

I spin my alpaca fleece, and of course knit. I also like to quilt. I often fill my quilts with the short alpaca fiber.

I work full time and unfortunately need to travel 5 hours a day to work. My husband doesn't live with me but visits often.

Right now I'm interested in what breed to buy, for egg raising. What kind of incubator and what other people do about a set-up for raising.
    I'll post photos later
    Regards
    Susan

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] Glad you joined! Sorry about all the fox raids.[​IMG]That's neat that your cat and chickens get along so well!

You can always explore the "Breeds" tab on BYC for info about all the breeds. Good luck![​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed