new, southern california

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenwho, Dec 26, 2010.

1. chickenwho

chickenwho New Egg

Dec 25, 2010
    1. Brand new to BYCF: ) duh... WOW! never realized there was so much to chicken gathering! What a goldmine to find BYCF.
    2. Researching New Hampshires and came across BYCF.
    3. Would like to raise New Hampshires for meat and eggs, mainly meat.. after perusing this forum with vigor, i am starting to think another breed may be more approapriate?
    4. Wasn't aware it was going to be difficult to acquire quality stock - thought it was as simple as a trip to the feed store : )
    5. I have about 1 years experience with chickens, so far successful but have through trial and error figured out what I am trying to accomplish (Eggs AND Meat).. and i am ready to go with a single breed and New Hampshires are my choice. At least .. WERE.. my choice. Nothing against the breed, but it seems they are not really a "meat" bird any longer? Or at the least are difficult to acquire good stock.
    6. Didn't realize they were a thinning breed
    7. Number 6 has made me determined to acquire a good stock of NH and raise them for years to come : ) But after a good nights sleep, I'm thinking maybe it would be easier if i went with a different breed for primarily meat, secondary... eggs....

WEll all righty then... i've read lots of info here. thought i was ready for a flock of dual purpose chickens. Not sure what i want to do anymore : ) I'll keep reading , contemplating, planning and preparing......

Ahh.. email in... a gentleman, I'll assume : ) I contacted through BYCF replied back and his opinion and input was that i may be interested in "buckeyes"... so I'll investigate that breed ..... THANKS to all. tom

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] from Texas!

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
  4. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    [​IMG]
    good luck on your breed search, sorry no suggestions

5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from the Central Coast. We bought six breeds two years ago that were supposed to be dual breeds. Luckily, they were all hens and decent layers because I'd hate to eat any of them. They were never very heavy and have never gained much weight. Certainly nothing like those fryers you buy for meat. Best of luck to you! [​IMG]

6. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    Welcome! I just became a forum member a few days ago myself. I decided to raise Black Copper Marans - duel purpose (and beautiful to boot!). The eggs are dark brown and apparently Martha Stewart prefers them, they are good for meat, and very docile (or at least I've been told). I'm having a blast so far and hope to have success with them. I hope you find a good breed for you.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. If you really want a good meat bird, I would go with the cornish X's. They are fast growing and very meaty. [​IMG]

8. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from North Carolina

9. Jarheadred

Jarheadred Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    St. Louis,MO ish
    Welcome friend, I have two brothers that live out in SoCal, in the Riverside area. Enjoy this site it will keep you entertained as well as educated.

10. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    Welcome! How big of a flock are you planning on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by