New sportsman incubator questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rutasty, Jun 9, 2011.

1. rutasty

rutasty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I have gotten my new bator and have had it up and cycling for more then 72 hours. my temp and humidity are rock solid stable @ temp is 99.5 and humidity is 51%. This is my first bator and i see alot of differing comments on humidity. I am gonna set some chicken eggs sunday. what should i be wanting the humidity at to begin my hatch? Any other sportman people out there that can give me some feed back? thanks nick

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    35% to 40% to start out.. the 60% or a little higher for the last 3 days.. this has been working for me very well.. no pasties..

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This is what I do with my sportsman. I originally keep the humidity around 40 to 50% during incubation and kick it up to 65 to 70% during lock down. I have had very good hatches. My Sportsman is an older one and originally had a wafer thermostat that we changed over to a digital thermostat. It is loaded right now with Pheasant eggs and chicken eggs. I also put it up on a table. I originally had it on the floor but much easier higher off of the floor.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  4. rutasty

rutasty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    thanks folks. I did put it up on a table. It just seems alot of people have varying thoughts on humidity. I figured someone with the same set up would have great info. thanks again
    i really need the auto waterer lol

5. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You can make the auto waterer much cheaper than they want for it.I made a couple of mine.Cost maybe $20 tops.I get the buckets free from Walmart any size I want. I have them on all the incubators and hatchers.I generally run my humidity a lil higher ,but it works for me.Not everyone is the same.It took some playing with to find the perfect setting for me.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My humidity fluctuates. I have my incubator in an apartment I have that is behind my garage. I usually put an AC in it in the summer but haven't yet this year and the daytime and nighttime humidity fluctuate pretty significantly. I do like the auto waterer. I got a super deal. I bought my unit from Craigslist.

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I made auto waters for all 3 of mine for less than $15.oo/ea..
    American Plastics has floats for less than $8.oo/ea..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by