New Sportsman--Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by matte, May 14, 2011.

1. matte

matte Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    BrushyCreekHome.com
    Received my 1502 yesterday. No eggs, but have had it running for 24 hours now to test. I've done everything exactly by the book and all plugs are in place (or open) as they should be. The temp is right on. However, the humidity will not go over 38%. Isn't this low? There is water in the pan. I'm not using the wicks because I read that you shouldn't have to until lock down. It is setting in the basement, so the exterior air is certainly not dry. Is 38% sufficient? If not, what is the problem?

2. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    I have been told 35 to 45% for the first 18 days and then when you go into lockdown for the final 3 you add another pan and bring it up to 65-70 I have the previous version of yours and have had no trouble you are right where you should be humidity wise

3. matte

Dec 27, 2009
    BrushyCreekHome.com
    Okay, great. Thanks! I was thinking it was supposed to be higher for some reason, but it is holding 37-38% and a perfect temp, so I should be good to go then. Thanks again.

4. Smith farm

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    Your welcome and good luck with the hatches!!!!

5. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    I think that's a bit odd. I don't know where you are and how humid it is in your basement but I live in a super dry area and my sportsman runs at about 45% humidity a long as I have water in it and no wick. It holds that humidity really well. I wonder if I have some openings I never uncovered? If I put a wick in it holds 65% perfectly. It just goes through a lot of water so I think I am going to get that automatic water bucket thing so I can quit running up and down the steps with water.

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have a Dickey & I believe the vents are set up the same as the Sportsman (2 vents in back)...

top vent open...bottom vent closed: raises humidity
    bottom vent open...top vent closed: lowers humidity

You can fiddle with various amounts of "openness" to get to the % you need...gosh, does that make sense??? [​IMG]

I also prefer very low humidity the first 18 days, then up it to 65% for hatching. As long as you can suffeciently raise the humidity for hatching, I wouldn't worry about it! [​IMG]

Good luck!!!

7. matte

Dec 27, 2009
    BrushyCreekHome.com
    Okay, well, it is still holding 38% exactly so, if that is sufficient I'll leave it alone. I will add one or two wicks to test what I can boost it to before my first batch of eggs.

I wonder....a bright red card that came inside the 1502 states that this is GQF's newest model and now has two fans instead of one to increase air circulation....and that they would appreciate feedback on how the hatches go. Is this two-fan model brand new? If so, I wonder if that is increasing the air in/out and decreasing the humidity slightly.
    (In our IL basement, the air is not dry. And, I've read others on here that have actually had to cover a portion of their water pan to get the humidity low enough.)

8. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    The 1502 is the newest one that GQF is making. I've ordered one and still am waiting for it to arrive. Previous version if I recall correctly was the 1200 series. THe 1502 nis said to have all the bells and whistles.
    Don't worry about the beeping you hear every few hours, it's telling you the turner is working. Only way to stop it is to disable the alarm, now worth it in my view.

Keep us posted on your hatch, I'm curious how well it'll work. [​IMG]

9. Smith farm

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    Post some pics of the inside I'd like to see how they situated the two fans and am curious myself if it helps any and if the 1200 series can be converted. I like the idea of the beeper to tell you when the turner motor is coming on thats pretty cool.

10. matte

Dec 27, 2009
    BrushyCreekHome.com
    I'm out of town but will try to post a pic when I get back. The fans are side by side on the top at the rear, blowing forward. I'm sure the extra air movement will be good, just have to figure out if that is causing the lower humidity....and how to resolve it.

Wasilla--I hope you didn't order from Surehatch. Their "IN STOCK" item took over half a month to ship out.

Doesn't anyone else have the two-fan model 1502 that can offer some advice on humidity?

Last edited: May 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by