NEW STICKY!? An OFFICIAL, this is what happens before you get eggs pg

SIMPleChick

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Utah
I have noticed that almost every other question on here is, "when will my chicken lay?" and "What does it look like?" regarding the "squat". SOOOOOooo.... I was wondering if one of you smarty pants, big time COOL members
big_smile.png
would mind putting together an official "what happens before your chickens lay" page, with descriptions and pictures from members?? Such as:
Coloring and growth of comb and waddles (differences in breeds, like EE's don't grow big waddles...)
Growth of bum/hip feathers
Talking more and Egg song
Being more friendly/The squat
Spending time in nesting boxes
Holding wings out and gulling for air when going to lay....
Irregularities, like how long a chicken will sit, why chickens accidently lay out of the nesting boxes...

Things like this but with more description and photos!?!?!?!? What do you think, good idea/bad idea??? Would anyone be interested in putting it together????

Last edited:
The one SURE thing I noticed "what happens before they lay" is that there is a heck of alot of waiting on my part. Makes watching a pot of water boil seem like a nano-second.

Last edited:
LOL! I second that! But maybe if people know "for sure signs" of what will happpen with their chickens, they won't stress so much, or they WILL notice or recognize what they are seeing!

Great idea! I'm in!
It seems like forever when you are waiting for your chickens to lay their first egg. And by putting together a list, people will know exactly what to look for. Once again, great idea.
thumbsup.gif

The problem is that not everyone agrees! We all have different experiences. Trying write just my own experiences would be close to a novel and may not agree with some others at all.

The one thing I can tell you is that the words "always" and "never" have nothing to do with raising chickens!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom