New style of pvc feeder, has anyone tried it?

Chad the Chicken Man

Songster
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Belleville, WI
Here is the website
http://www.coopsnmore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=43

Ive built pvc feeders before with the 90 degree elbow and the 45 degree elbow. but i thought this one looked really neat. Im not sure what its built out of but im guessing maybe a downspout connecter and then a fence post cap for the feeding tray?? let me know what you guys think. im going to go to the hardware store and see if i can figure out what its built with. ill let you guys know.
thanks

geekysheep, Im not sure what the square thing is either but, it looks like a 4x4 post cap. im running to the hardware store in about an hour to see if i can figure something out. it would be interesting to see how it works for spillage. I dont have chickens right now. we are building another coop in march. so it will take awhile for us to try it out. hopefully i can figure out the right parts and then someone on here can try it!! Im just trying to figure out the right feeder and waterer to put in the coop to save space...

I've seen the same basic principle using 3" pipe with a 6" pipe cap screwed to bottom. Or just a bowl/bucket of some kind. The feeder pipe merely needs to be off the bottom of dish by say 2 inches to flow out the feed as it's eaten. The bottom dish needs to be deep enough to no allow excess spillage, say 4 inches deep. So even a 4" pvc supported against wall with a tupperware dish screwed to end of it and a 4" cap for removable top. The length of pipe and diameter is determined by what will feed your chickens for x amount of days you need without refilling.

Last edited:
This looks really interesting and fairly easy to make. I agree about the offset downspout connector. The prooblem with most of the cheap gravity feeders I have found is the opening at the top allowing the "crud" from the coop to get in. I.E Dust, poop. And all the feed just drops in to too large of a catch pan.

We have made some of these, need to rack my brain where I got the directions from. I think backyard poultry magazine. pretty sure. And I found all the supplies at home depot. But where I found the offset downspout adapter wasn't where it should have been. I wasn''t with the gutter stuff. I think it was with the pvc pipe adapters. I was with some short black pvc pipe stuff. I just happen to come across it by mistake and no one at the store could help find it.
They leak a little food, but we use mash. I want to make more for grit and oyster shells. I will put a coffee can on top.

I did figure it out it is a 4" PVC pipe with the offset downspout, and then a 4x4 post cap, you need to get the caps that are ment for a pvc fence, because the caps and flat. it is a really tight fit between the downspout and the 4x4 cap but i think it going to work out great. cant wait to try it. at sparrker, thanks for the diy website but the pvc feeder you showed me if the wrong type of feeder. i know people on here have used that type of feeder and really like it. but i think the feeder with the downspout and cap will work great also!.

Back
Top Bottom