New Sumatra owner with ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengrl, Dec 20, 2010.

1. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hello, I am new to chickens and and DH has at least been around them as a kid. We recently aquired a black Sumatra roo and 3 blue hens while at a poultry show because we both just loved how beautiful they are. So, we got them home and did the 30 day quarantine out in our big horse trailer. They were as healthy as ever and we moved them out to the coop with the rest of the chickens. (marans, EE, BR, BO, SLW). They are in a separate section with chicken wire keeping them apart. We were thinking to keep them like this for 1-2 weeks and start letting them free range with the rest of the group during the day. Well, after doing some more reading I am starting to worry that they might not be content to range about and then actually return to the coop. In fact, I am picturing these rather wild birds flying into the trees and thumbing their beaks at us when we want to put them in coop lock down. [​IMG] We do not currently have a run of any kind but plan to build one for when we won't have someone home. So, any Sumatra owners out there with words of wisdom? I really hate to lose these birds before we even get to enjoy them! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I haven't lost a free ranging Sumatra yet. I haven't found them to be as "wild" as I've read about.
    Mine return to the coop every evening and one of my hens is always one of the first on the perch.
    As far as the "thumbing their beaks" at you, yeah, that part is true, they tend to be a bit of an arrogant bird. My contention is that they know how beautiful they are and aren't afraid to show it. [​IMG]

Edited to add: [​IMG] from Texas!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  3. chickengrl

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks EastTXChick,
    That's what I was hoping someone would say! We are really excited about the Sumatras and can't wait to start letting them out for a bit of freedom. Are there not many Sumatra owners out there? Kinda thought I might hear a little more from a few more folks. Thanks for the welcome too. This forum has been awesome and has helped me learn a great deal about chickens. Thanks! [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    There are quite a few, but a lot of people don't like their "spirited" personalities. [​IMG]

5. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Just a thought but you might only let them out an hour or so before sundown at first to keep them close to the pen/coop to see how they will do before turning them out for the entire day.

I have samatra's & my male is very calm & well behaved but the females are alittle more skittish but not to the point of sleeping in the tree's, they just don't want to be real close to me but if I am walking in the run they just circle away from me.

6. HerAlterEgo

HerAlterEgo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Marion, TX
    I ordered a female, but ended up with a male black Sumatra. This thing attacks my dogs and my husband. It's extremely entertaining for me to watch, point, and laugh. (Ok, so I am a horrible person). When my cattle dog turns after getting pecked in the ass, the Sumatra flies on top of the house and stays up there until I bring the dogs back in. It merrily flaps back down within 10 seconds after the yard settles down. He really wants to be surrounded by his harem at all times, whether in the yard or in the coop. I named him Randy because he usually hits all the girls within 3 minutes of letting them out of the coop for the day.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. chickengrl

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Heralterego: that's pretty funny...I can just picture the cattle dog getting pecked!

Just an update...let the 4 Sumatras out to free range yesterday later in the day so they wouldn't get too far as suggested and all went well. they were out all day today and no problems. Our other 2 roosters did not even seem to mind the new Sumatra rooster and he stayed with his 3 hens pecking around. We still had to shoo them into the coop for lock-up but it wasnt too difficult. Sooo, things went pretty smoothly despite my worries. Thanks to all who replied! [​IMG]

8. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    I am glad to hear your experiences with these birds. I kind of like their independent attitude and am considering them or Cubalayas as an addition to my flock this year. Thank you for asking the question and following up!
    [​IMG]

9. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I have only lost a Sumatra pullet to a Raven.
    I really like Sumatra's, very intelligent, comical and mine followed me around. We nicknamed them the super Ninja chickens.
    The Roos had to leave as they were over sexed and causing a lot of chaos. The Hens are great foragers and are the last to go in at night.

10. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Mine is really sweet, but not very easy to catch. They get out of the pen occasionally but pop right back in if offered treats.

The SSHamburg is flightier than the Sumatra.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by