New Surprise Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vderks, Jul 25, 2013.

1. vderks

vderks Hatching

Jul 17, 2012
    A friend woke up one morning to three hens in their yard. It's been two weeks and the girls have stuck around. How do we tell how old they are and if they should be still laying. Then, how do we entice them to lay eggs? Thank you in advance for your help..

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    You might post a notice in the "found" section of the newspaper. It's likely that they were free ranging, and a predator chased them off, they got lost and ended up in your yard. If I lost 3 of my pets, I would appreciate getting them back. Now, if no one responds, consider them abandoned, and you can provide them with a home. They'll need a coop with at least 4 square feet/bird, a perch, some bedding (most people use wood shavings, but don't use cedar) a nest box, and a secure run with a minimum of 10 square feet per bird. Depending on their age, they'll need grower or layer feed. In the mean time, while you're waiting to see if someone has lost them, if you can, provide them with housing and feed. If you can't, perhaps you can take them to someone who can. You can find lots of ideas for housing in the "coop" section of BYC. I wish you the best of luck with your new friends.

3. nab58

nab58 Songster

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    First, they belong to someone and you should probably put up posters in your area to find their owner.
    With that said....

if you're keeping them, get them a safe place to stay, a nesting box and some chicken layer feed.

Check their vent, if it looks red, wet or even bulging or visible, they're probably laying. Chickens usually find a hidden spot to lay their eggs, so they may be laying somewhere near. Try following the around. From what I hear, they make a racket when they're laying.

take some pictures,we may be able to tell you more.

4. vderks

vderks Hatching

Jul 17, 2012
    My friend has put up notices. No word yet... He was reluctant to cage them thinking they might go home, but you say he should anyway? The reason I asked about age was someone suggested they may be past laying age and were let loose by their owner. Our suburb only approved backyard chickens this past year. It seems quite a few people 'jumped on the band wagon' only to tire of it.

5. nab58

nab58 Songster

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    That could be but I've never heard of it. If you confine them then you'll know if they're laying.

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I would definitely confine them as they are prime targets for predator attack. It sounds as though you're interested in adopting them if they don't get claimed by an owner. Shame to have a wild animal or roaming dog kill them.

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I would definitely confine them as they are prime targets for predator attack. It sounds as though you're interested in adopting them if they don't get claimed by an owner. Shame to have a wild animal or roaming dog kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: