1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New teenage chicks all won't eat or drink?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beneduck14, Apr 15, 2017.

1. beneduck14

beneduck14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    Received two Serema (teenaged) chicks from friend. They have always been with their mother and have little to no human contact.

Since yesterday they haven't eaten or drunken water from the waterer yet. One of them is looking abnormally tired while the other is chirping away.

I hand watered both at first and it worked but now they won't even open their beak but instead shake the water off of their beak.

I tried scrambled eggs but they would just peck at it or ignore.

How do I get them to drink and eat themselves?
    [​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What type of feeder were they used too?......Use a shallow dish for water and a small bowl for feed...They are just nervous being away from Momma Hen..She showed them what was safe to eat by calling to them....:)

Cheers!

3. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    I have

I have tried every dish to see if they have a preference and even purchased the same one they were used too but nothing. Hopefully you are right, that they are just nervous. It makes me even more nervous :)

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They might need Momma Hen as she raised them....Pick them back up at a later date..;)...I only sell newly hatched or 3 week old chicks that are raised by Broody Hens...Babies need their Mom I believe...

5. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    Hmm... they are way over a month old. Hard to believe but they do almost have all of their feathers but since they are miniature chickens, they do look younger!

6. Curran

Curran Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2015
    Maybe they just need some TLC? I know you said they've had almost no human contact, but it sounds like this is the time to start giving it to them. It's hard being taken away from mom and being all on your own, in your picture it looked like they were still hoping to see her somewhere out there. And probably on guard being so unsure of their new surroundings. Anytime I have an orphaned chick I can usually bring it back to reality by giving it some love. You could even try explaining it to them once they've calmed down. [​IMG]

I hope they feel better soon, best of luck!

7. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    Thanks to everyone! Unfortunately that chick did not make it. She died so suddenly. Another chick is starting to show same symptoms: trembling and being not so inactive but eating and drinking itself and pooping normally. Wing slightly drooping and sleeping randomly has not affected him yet. What could this be :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by