New Texas Member!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TexasGoatGal, May 11, 2011.

1. TexasGoatGal

TexasGoatGal Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Hi, I'm Leslie, and I live deep in South West Texas.

We (Leigh and I) live on/manage a 25000 acre ranch down here, where we are responsible for (among other things) the hunting business (deer, turkey, javelina) and for caring for/handling/starting the mares and foals in the QH breeding program, as well as the saddle horses, here on the ranch. It's quite the dream job!!!

I've been lurking here on and off for a few months, as I am new to chickens and plan to get a few egg layers as well as a number of meat birds. As we live 2 hours from a full sized grocery store, the more I can grow at home, the better! Besides, fresher is always better!

In addition to the 20 or so horses that we care for on the ranch, we own 4 horses, a small herd of cashmere goats, a dog and 4 cats. And we usually get a steer or two to finish out in the fall for beef....

I'm excited to get started with the chickens, and I've learned a lot here on BYC!

2. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    [​IMG] from CA!!! Glad you joined!!! You will love BYC! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    That sounds delightful!! Welcome to BYC! I hope you find all the information you need to make your decision, if you need any additional information, feel free to PM me...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    [​IMG] It's always nice to have more Texans in the bunch. You are going to love it here, but a small warning.... We will get you addicted to so much more than chickens and we are enablers and encourage the max number of birds that you can care for [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. TexasGoatGal

May 11, 2011
    Hi bt03!

Where are you out in West Texas? I'm in the Sanderson/Dryden area, and I'm interested in what types of eggers and meat chickens will thrive out here in the heat!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks much! [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I would love to hunt deer in Tx. [​IMG]

8. TexasGoatGal

May 11, 2011
    Hi 4-H Chicken Mom!

Send me a PM and we perhaps can get you connected up for some Texas Deer hunting! [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

10. debryman

debryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Joshua Tree CA
    Hi and welcome form Joshua Tree CA!! Your lifestyle sounds awesome!! You will definitely learn lots from this board. I LOVE it here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by