New ~ The Vegetarian Homesteader - lol

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by deineria, Jan 23, 2011.

1. deineria

deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Hello! I've often browsed the forum, but I'd like to become active now that spring is approaching and I've just bought my first incubator - the Brinsea Eco 20 ( I think - lol) . . .and expect to set eggs soon!

My husband and I have three sons (9, 2 and 1) and hope to allow them to grow up with

traditional values and useful knowledge that so many kids

are not able to acquire these days in this society.

We started out with a pony and some Pygmy goats at our first house back

in 2007. My husband became interested in Dairy goats, and we purchased

1 Nubian doe, 1 doling and a buckling in the spring of 2008.

So our herd began, and we have since added more goats of dairy breeding and decided

to raise Nubians, Miniature Nubians, Kinder-like goats and Nigerian Dwarf goats, and we were able to

purchase a very nice Jersey calf to raise occasional heifers later on.

We love being able to meet people along this journey, and we are thankful

for the advice and help we've gotten from people who are also living a similar

lifestyle or raising animals as we are.

We added chickens last spring, and we now have a small flock of 8 BLRW, a few bantams, 3 Welsummers, 2 Barnevelders, 3 RIRs, 2 Orphingtons, 2 Ameraucana, 2 Delawares and more!

You can see all sorts of chickens photos of our mini flock on our site at lucasfarmwv and then under chickens

As a note: I am a 14 year ova-lacto vegetarian; however, I am HUGE supporter of raising your own animals and getting away from

commercially slaughtered and raised animals. While I personally just choose to not eat meat, we plan to raise some livestock for food

in order to provide our family, other than myself, with humanely raised meat. If you can abstain from meat, awesome, but if not, PLEASE

BUY only human raised meats, and humanely gained eggs and dairy!

And I do a blog about my whole journey at
    thevegetarianhomesteader at blogspot
    if anyone wants to check it out [​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:Very well said, a warm [​IMG] to you and your family, hope you will stick around for a while. Looking forward to checking out your blog.

I am not a vegetarian, but I have been buying meat from local farms in and around my small town that has been raised humanely and pastured and with no added hormones. You can really taste the difference.
    Now I am moving on to raising my own animals for meat, and dairy, chickens for eggs and meat, and a whole whack load of vegetables and fruits :)

Take care and talk soon,

Ema

5. deineria

deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  6. CountryGal76

CountryGal76 Out Of The Brooder

Hello Deineria!! Nice to meet you! Sounds like you have a wonderful flock and I love that you..like me..are excited about raising your kids to know the basics of life and how to take care of yourself if need be. With the prices of food and stuff going up at the stores growing your own food, raising your own livestock is making more and more sense not to mention the health benefits!! I am also starting up my first garden this year with the help of some wonderful neighbors that we have become close friends with who are pro's at gardens lol.

7. vogelzang

vogelzang Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from TX

8. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from California [​IMG]

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress