1. threelittlepigs

threelittlepigs Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    If you are new to coop design and chickens...please read all the great ideas on here. If I could do it all over, I would have absolutely built a door suitable to humans walking in and out of. My DH built a sweet little coop, and I love it...but it is my nemisis this winter!! If I could do it all over, I would have done different. Just sayin' :)

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2

My first coop was a tiny raised coop, and clearly not enough room for me to enter! LOL There is nothing better than to be able to walk inside your coop. Easier to clean, shelters you from the elements and when the coop is big enough for you to get into, it is big enough for your birds to hang out in as well.

Great advice!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Many of us feel the same way. My first coop was a small raised coop as well. Even my second coop although it is big enough to walk in is not set up as my next coop will be. Browsing through here gives you many ideas you may have never thought of. The easier you can make it on yourself the happy you'll be.

4. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    X2
    Walk-in
    High enough to add loft for supplies, bales, etc
    Footage for extra feed, tools, feeder, waterer
    Windows

All good things if you have the room and ability.

5. Kazfam

Kazfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2013
    Yes, agree on the door - it was a necessity in our case. Husband is 6'4" and son (primary chicken care-giver) is 6'6".

It has proved VERY useful - especially for the daily poop-scooping.

[​IMG]

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Yeah, gotta have a door. And a inner screen door is nice to have too. Then you can hook open the outer door in the warmer months for more fresh air in the coop.

[​IMG]

7. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    A people door and a chicken door on the coop and run!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    The Lazy L,

I'm curious as to why you made your run a short distance away from your coop and connected it with a little bridge rather than having them connected directly. Is there a particular reason for this?

9. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    So happy to read the "if I did it again" threads....currently have a small 4x8x6 and will be building a much larger, nicer coop in the spring and I am forever looking for ideas and ways to assure it ends up being the roomy, functional coop I need. I do not have a "man" door right now and it is first on my list. I also think storage space for all things chicken-related is a must. Love this thread

10. MichelleVA

MichelleVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by