New to all of this and need advice about disease's

Drummerboy1975

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
I'm considering having hens for the eggs. So I'm weighing everything thing out first, trying to cover all bases before committing. My question is this- how clean are chickens, and how subseptable to disease are me, my family, and pets, by keeping them in my backyard?

I'm considering having hens for the eggs. So I'm weighing everything thing out first, trying to cover all bases before committing. My question is this- how clean are chickens, and how subseptable to disease are me, my family, and pets, by keeping them in my backyard?

There are few diseases that you can get from chickens. Always wash your hands after handling anything to do with chickens. Have dedicated shoes, jackets, etc for chicken chores. There are a lot of chicken chores but, most of us do them joyfully because that is what chickens can bring to your life-joy. All livestock are somewhat dirty, chickens poop everywhere all the time but chickens do preen and groom. It comes down to coop design, pest management, cleanliness of nests, floors, proper feed and clean water. dogs may eat chickens or chicken poop, pet cats generally leave adult chickens alone.
Do not allow the very young, the very old or immune suppressed people handle chickens or chicken things. An important thing to consider is that you can't go anywhere longer than 24 hrs w/o someone else to look after your chickens. I live on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere no hustle an bustle here and my son is grown. I choose chickens over vacations. See if you can get a used copy of "Chickens for Dummies" It's a good beginners guide. Good luck, I hope you choose chickens too!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom