New to all this but it sounds really fun!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yanks26, Jan 9, 2009.

1. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hello. My name is Mike and I am new to this forum. My grandfather got me into the idea of chickens and eggs before he passed away years ago. He was responsible for 90% of the eggs shipped around the world. I have done lots of research but wanted to hear first-hand what you guys have to say about my idea:
    I want to incubate chickens or do something with chickens where I can make a $. I am fascinated by the idea of raising chickens and it seems like a cool hobby even if I couldn't make any money doing this. Can anyone please guide me in how to make some money raising chickens, or incubating chicks then selling them, etc... instead of doing it just as a hobby?

Thanks for your time!

2. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow, that's something. I mean, that must have been some kind of a huge operation your grandfather ran, there. What was the name of his company?

I want to incubate chickens or do something with chickens where I can make a $. I am fascinated by the idea of raising chickens and it seems like a cool hobby even if I couldn't make any money doing this. Can anyone please guide me in how to make some money raising chickens, or incubating chicks then selling them, etc... instead of doing it just as a hobby?

Thanks for your time!

Since your grandfather (apparently) ran a mega-super-duper-gigantic factory farming operation, isn't there anyone in your family who can tell you what was involved in it?​

3. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    His company is Radlo Foods formerly known as Radlo Brothers. He didn't own it, he was just in charge of the transportation-overlook aspect.
    Also, my dad (grandfather's son) doesn't want me getting involved in the business for reasons beyond my knowledge. Thus, he will not tell me much about it nor do I think he actually knows much about it haha. I tried many times to get information on it but no answer. This is why I have turned to you guys.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah, OK, Radlo - parent company of Eggland's Best. Interesting! I'm a newbie to this myself, so I cannot help you. I think this site is mostly for hobbyists, but I think there are also one or two people who do it professionally around here. [​IMG]

5. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thank you very much for the information Felicitas! Keep it touch!

6. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    If you search the threads on this site you will probably find more information than you will ever need.

7. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    That's the thing lol, there are so many posts I have trouble finding the right one. I will keep searching though.

8. joshplus10

joshplus10 Out Of The Brooder

I'm just a hobbyist, myself, but if I had the time and a little money, I'd look into local demand for organic and/or free range meat and eggs - farmers' markets - particulary Community Supported Agriculture distribution systems - and upscale grocery stores and restaurants. It would be pretty handy to have a local source of organic feed, too.

9. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Quote:Ah, forbidden fruit. [​IMG]

Just keep reading BYC. This site is a wealth of information.

How large an operation are you thinking of?

10. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Small since I am still in college but want to make it a big business when I graduate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by