new to all this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by careyrick, Feb 6, 2017.

1. careyrick

careyrick Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    My son has always wanted chickens so my husband and i let the neighbors know, they had given us a rooster that they no longer wanted. sadly his toes were gone (by frost bite) before we got him. my question is .... is he still able to breed even tho he has no toes? Just wondering because we got chickens that are laying and one of the hens is now hiding her eggs and we are wondering if there is a chance they are fertile or not.... Thank you in advance

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC!

He should be able to mate. Does he walk pretty well?

Great to have you with us!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I see no reason why he should not be able to mate the hens. As said above does he walk around ok? You could crack the eggs open and check for fertility, hope this chart helps you ~
    [​IMG]

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  4. careyrick

careyrick Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    yes he walks well and all seems good with him we were just wondering if his lack of claws on his feet would pose as a problem for him.
    we also have hens that all the sudden started to hide their eggs and wont let me (i am the only one who tends to them) near the coop with out her running in to set on the eggs.

oh and thanks for the welcome i really hope this will help me in the future being that im new to all this lol

5. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    No, it should be fine, if anything better for the hens.

Could your hen be going broody?

6. careyrick

careyrick Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    thats what we are thinking but she just started laying eggs about 2wks ago could she be broodyalready? we got her when she was a chick and 2 wks ago was her "first" egg we will say

7. careyrick

careyrick Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    shes not agressive just like protective of where she put them

8. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    She could. What breed is she? I've had pullets go broody soon after beginning to lay.

She could just be considering going broody and not all the way there yet. Only way to know for sure is to wait a few days. Signs of broodiness are staying on the nest all day/night, clucking, puffing feathers up on and off the nest, irritability, staying away from other chickens more and some other things.

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the flock! Thanks for joining us at BYC, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home! I hope you enjoy yourself here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, careyrick, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Look like you've already received some great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by