1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to all this!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lesliet, Apr 27, 2007.

1. lesliet

lesliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    ok i have the coop and nesting boxes, now everything is going along ok, well now they have decided that the nesting boxes are their bathroom area also........YUK!!!!
    I am changing the bedding 3 or 4 times a week, so what can i do so they keep laying they eggs but not poop in them???? or is it time for a big chicken dinner [​IMG]

2. Forest_Nymph

Forest_Nymph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    Roosts...got roosts?

They may be roosting on the nest boxes and pooping in the nests.

...just a guess. Anyone else got an idea to fix the problem?

3. lesliet

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    nothing above the nesting box there is nothing to roost on..... i think they are plotting against me:lol:

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Leslie....you need to make them a roost..AWAY from the nesting boxes...and maybe after dark...go in there, slowly remove them from the nesting boxes, and place them on the roost. Hopefully thye will get the idea. Make the roost on the opposite side of the coop. Hope this works!

5. lesliet

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    i will try to moving them a little bit further away from the boxes. someone older gentalman told me to put vinager in the bottom of the boxes that way they will lay eggs in there but not use the bathroom in them.....another old wifes tale, any truth to it???

6. Pringle_Sussex

Pringle_Sussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Australia
    ohh i have that problem myself... because Echo is a wimp and Carmen hangs with him, my other gals are meaner and won't let them roost on the roost, they have to rest in the nesting area and they spend most of their time in there... so you could image there's alot of poop there...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by