New to all this!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckMomma6, Aug 19, 2013.

1. DuckMomma6

DuckMomma6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    I posted awhile back about one of my ducks (Danni, a Khaki) having seizures and within days she was gone :( Well I have been very alert to any changes with my other five ducks who never showed any of the signs or symptoms Danni had. This morning before I went to work I checked on my ducks making sure they had everything they needed and I noticed that one of my other Khakis (Daphne) sounded like she was coughing and looked like she may have some clear fluid on her beak - but I wasn't sure if she had just come from the waterer... When I got home from work, there was no drainage or fluid on her beak and she wasn't coughing or anything. Then when my husband got home I had him look at her and he said that she sneezed once but that we would just continue watching her. She just now sounded like she was coughing again.... She is still very energetic and keeping up with the others... Danni didn't present like this so I am very hopeful this is nothing at all or something different and manageable.. Does anybody have any thoughts or advice or experience with this??? I am new to all things farm really... My husband raises chickens but isn't sure what's going on with our ducks [​IMG]

2. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Sounds like she might have a cold or something. Has it been getting cold at night there? Or excessively raining?

3. DuckMomma6

Aug 11, 2013
    It had been getting cold but it has warmed up a lot the last couple days... But cooler at night than in the day still. How do you treat a cold in a duck?

4. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    I know here its been 80 during the day and like high 50s at night, which might cause a cold. First things first I have a few questions. What are feeding them? do they have constant fresh, clean water? Are they able to dunk their heads all the way under water(a deep water dish or a pool)? What do you use as bedding? Could it be moldy? Have you been around any other poultry other than your own that might of been sick? I know that's a lot of questions but its important to know what their conditions are like so we can figure out what might be going on

5. DuckMomma6

Aug 11, 2013
    We feed the ducks All Flock pellets... They do have a big waterer and I clean it and put fresh water in it daily or as needed. I'm not sure if they can dunk their entire head in the waterer but they can whole beak in there.. They are in a coop that sits high off the ground with chicken mesh as the floor so all their mess goes to the ground. They are in the coop until my husband gets home bc I can not get them out without help. But once they get out they have a pool to swim and drink from... I do not go around any other birds, my husband cares for our chickens and turkeys but all has been well and he doesn't touch the ducks except right when he gets home before he ever goes out to the barn... I hope this helps! Ask all the questions needed!

6. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Hmm OK all seems perfect there. I'd start them on some poultry vitamins. A probiotic or electrolyte. Do you have any yogurt in the house? If so give them some of that for tonight. If it doesn't clear up soon you will have to bring them to a vet. But hopefully we can clear it up. Do you have any apple cider vinegar?

7. DuckMomma6

Aug 11, 2013
    I forgot to tell you that I do put poultry vitamins with electrolytes in their water. I just started putting apple cider vinegar in their water recently. Where do you get the probiotics? No yogurt to give them :/

8. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    You should be able to get them at the same place you get their feed. Have you done a full body check to make sure that's the only thing going on?

9. DuckMomma6

Aug 11, 2013
    When we put them up for the night, we checked her out and all seems fine... But we aren't too sure what to look for...

10. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Anything out of the ordinary. Any drainage anywhere, any bruises or weird marks, anything odd by her vent. Also check her feet and see if there is anything wrong with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by