new to baby chickens. help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by runchickenrun, Apr 18, 2008.

1. runchickenrun

runchickenrun New Egg

Apr 18, 2008
    i first started getting eggs about a month ago, and i dont have an incubator yet. there's one particular hen that never moves from a few eggs ive left out there. i know the best way to hatch eggs is with an incubator, but i was just curious if any of the eggs would hatch...

how do i tell if the egg is fertilized or not?

anything else on eggs will be helpful. im getting an incubator at some point!

thanks
    -chicken poop:weee

2. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Do you have roosters so that the eggs can be fertile. If so, it takes 21 days for chicken eggs to hatch. Hens do a very good job of hatching out eggs. Some times better than a bator.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG]

4. runchickenrun

runchickenrun New Egg

Apr 18, 2008
    we definently have roosters. actually, after i posted that, i was looking through some other things on the site and took a flashlight out to the coop. two of the eggs have veins and a little chicken!! one doesn't look as developed as the others, but ive still got hope. im just excited that i may have baby chickens soon! how do you know when they're going to hatch?? i think it'd be neat to watch them hatch... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by