New to baby chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by debbie2885, Sep 16, 2016.

1. debbie2885

debbie2885 Just Hatched

Sep 16, 2016
    Hi everyone, I am new to raising chicks, I ordered 15 pullet and got 17 they are now 2 weeks old they are all doing good except for 1 she was fine then one day I was checking on them and she seemed extremely tired and isolated herself I put her in a kennel by herself to watch her she would not eat or drink the next day she could not walk I started giving her drinks through a dropper pedialight mixed with water every 30 minutes to 1 hour. I am also giving her vitamins poly vi solution without iron days later she seems to be more alert but still cannot walk she can move her legs but can't walk or even sit up. Anyone have a clue what's wrong with her? Anything I should be doing that I am not? Please help.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! It sounds like you're taking great care of her. If you post in Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures, folks there should be able to help out. Best of luck and thanks for joining us!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howry from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined our flock. Best wishes!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    People getting new chicks seem to lose one or two in the early days. Either from failure to thrive ,internal defects or disease. I would take her to a vet if possible - to see what you are dealing with and if it will spread to the others.

5. debbie2885

debbie2885 Just Hatched

Sep 16, 2016
    Thank you for replying unfortunately there is not a vet here that will see chickens, so if anyone can tell me anything I can do I would be very great full she is still living but not able to sit stand or walk which makes it hard or her to eat and drink since she cannot get around to get to the food or water I have tried putting it in front of her but she knocks over the water every time I try that.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Debbie!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! I would post in the emergencies page. good luck with her

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by