new to baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luluann, Feb 5, 2013.

1. luluann

luluann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    I am thinking maybe tomorrow I might pick up 5 baby australop (sp). I am going to try the feather sexing but I've never done it. I have never owned baby chicks well not since I was 6 and my parents raised them. Now I'll still deciding. I really really want some, but I didn't want australop. I have been looking online and reading about them. Still doing reading. But is there any pointers you can give me. Like I said I know nothing.

2. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    Hello this is gonna be the firs year ive incubated and gonna be raising chicks. Someone here on BYC i dont remember who they told me to go to he learning center @ the top of the page and start reading it helped me alot.

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Yes there is lots of good information in the learning center. Also read the daily post made. We see the same questions and we don't mind answering but might keep you from having to ask. Any thing you can't find or don't understand please do.

4. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Do you mean instructions on care?
    Feeding: I give mine unmedicated (because i like all natural raising) purina chick starter. I think they might call it Startena? Five chicks will not need that big of a feeder, but as they grow they wont be able to use the little holes any more. Get a big feeder feeder they can use as they grow. Around day 7 you can start giving them little treats- hard boiled egg, meal worms, and other tasty tid- bits.
    Water: I use a little giant plastic one gallon waterer. always have fresh water. As they grow and start scratching around and get bedding in their waterer, raise it off the ground.
    Heat: the brooder should be 95* the first 7 days, on day 8-14, 90*, and every week after that lower it by 5*. If the chicks are all trying to get away from the heat, its too hot. If they are all cuddled and standing right in the middle of the heat, too cold.
    bedding: I myself prefer horse bedding you can buy in bags at the farm store. it isnt just for horses but thats what its marketed for. Some like straw, which i dont like because its too hard to clean. Just be sure to KEEP IT CLEAN. at 7 days you will want to clean it, and every five days after that, most likely. Or until it starts getting gross.

by 15 weeks be sure they have their coop and are out in it. but really you want to make sure you have the coop built before you buy the chicks. 10 weeks they will be ready to go out.

I have always enjoyed austrolorps (sp?) they lay well, are pretty and friendly. I hope you have fun with them!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by