New to baby chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kheatherly, Feb 13, 2014.

1. kheatherly

kheatherly New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    Tryon NC
    Hello. I got 10 baby silkies through the mail yesterday. Of all times for us to get a snow storm as well. I have them in a tote with a red 250 watt bulb and also have them close to the heater with the blower on. The temp in the tote is 85 but they are staying huddled together??? We lost one last night and I'm afraid we may lose more :( any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they are huddled, lower the light. If they're avoiding it, raise it.

If you have it lowered as much as you think you should, cover part of the tote and wrap the tote in some insulative material like cardboard. Plastic totes aren't very insulative as plastic is fairly conductive.

3. kheatherly

kheatherly New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    Tryon NC
    Would it be better to put them in a cardboard box? I have the light lowered as far as it will go??

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Actually, IMO, the double wall would be best if you're having heat issues.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Is the 85* in the whole tote or at the warmest spot in the tote, a 250 watt bulb should be giving out quite a bit of heat at least directly underneath. How far away is the light bulb from the chicks? They are in the house? Maybe you could post pictures of your setup in the Raising Baby Chicks forum?

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good points.

The first time I used a 250 in a tote, the thermometer exploded. I was concerned about the original post that said there was a 250 in there.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Babies need to be started out at 95 degrees measured on the floor on one side of the brooder directly beneath the heat lamp. Don't use any blowers or anything that moves air. That is going to create a draft and kill them. Keep the food and water off to the other side of the brooder so they have to leave the heat to get to the goods and also have spots to cool down if they need it. Put down paper towels and sprinkle feed all around the floor by the feeder so the babies can find it. Dip everybody's beak in the water so they know where it is. Do not cover the lid of the brooder with anything but a screen or wire for good oxygen and heat exchange. And always use a brooder with solid sides and a solid floor. Lower the heat by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks.

Good luck with your new babies!

8. I hope you got it figured out, the above posters gave you great advice.

Welcome to BYC! from Riverside California. [​IMG]

9. GentFarmer

GentFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

A picture would definitely be helpful. I'm wondering a couple things: 1. What are you using for litter? 2. Did you have the lamp on the day before they arrived so the floor could warm up?

I can't go look up thermal qualities of cardboard vs. plastic, but it does seem to me that the cardboard box with a pine-shaving or other type litter would be warmer for them than the plastic tote. As others have said, that lamp at 18ish inches from the bottom should be a lot warmer than 85 degrees. I'm feeling like there's something else going on here.

10. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Glad to have you join us! Everyone else seems to have giving you great advice, so I have nothing to add. I hope your babies are okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by