New to baby chicks :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BernieTheMighty, Mar 3, 2015.

1. BernieTheMighty

BernieTheMighty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    PA
    Hi all, I decided to join the forum when all my google answers kept bringing me here. I figure if every search results in spending hours reading here, I may as well join in the fun!

My husband and I are from Pennsylvania, we just got a batch of 7 baby chicks from TSC. 4 are black and white fluffballs from the "TSC specialty", 2 are bantams that are marked like chipmunks, and 1 is a white silky. All are straight run.

My family has raised chickens but it was after I moved out, so I only really got to know the adult process of caring for them, but we always wanted baby chicks. I should say I always wanted baby chicks, my husband isn't as endeared with them as I am. lol.

So this is our first time raising them, as an introduction to chicks 101, I got to take care of four cases of pasty butt. I'm not sure how old they were when I got them (we got them on Sunday), as 2 of my black and white ones are constantly spreading their wings and trying to make an escape out of the brooder. Those two are getting tail feathers as well. The little bantams are, of course, smaller but they are also starting to get tail feathers. I adore them, they are so funny to watch and interact with.

It needs to hurry up and get warm here or else I fear that the winter that never ends is going to leave me with 7 large chickens running around my basement in a few weeks!

*I named the biggest one Bernie - he or she looks like a trouble maker named Bernie.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

Good luck with your new chicks! If you have any questions, just ask! We'll be happy to help. [​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock".

I hope your chicks do well for you and turn into happy, productive hens! It sounds like you got a nice variety of them.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    We're glad you decided to join the ''flock''. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, there is a lot of great info on this site and I'm sure you'll find answers! [​IMG] Enjoy those chickys!

7. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on your new little chicks!

With our first batch of chicks, I was caught off guard at how early they can get out of the brooder. That taught me to put a screen over the top real quick!

If you want some help identifying your chick's breeds once they get around 4-6 weeks old, you can post photos and ask for help here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy chicken tv, it's the best!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A wire top is really essential - otherwise babies fly out and can't find their way back - get chilled, get into hazardous areas, or get to be a cat or dog toy - not a good ending.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by