new to baby goats need help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animallover1, May 28, 2010.

1. animallover1

animallover1 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    we recently got a baby goat and she has a little cough what should we do about it
    she is about 2 weeks old and is still on the bottle

2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Baby goats can be delicate. Call a vet and get meds to help. Nip this in the bud right now. Try not to be tempted into using cheap, inexpensive short cuts before calling the vet. Call him/her and get the baby help. You'll be glad you did.

Joni

3. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Quote:Check for a fever.. If her temp is elevated (>103), give her Penicillin Procaine G... Most PenG injectables are formulated at 300,000units/ml..."Pen Aqueous" from Durvet, for instance, which you can usually find at TSC and other feedmills.

The dosage is 1ml/15lbs of bodyweight, injected SQ, 2x/day through an 18ga (20ga, in a pinch...NOT a 22ga) needle for a minimum duration of 7-10 days..

If in any doubt at all, about anything...call a vet ASAP. They can go down QUICKLY at that age.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. animallover1

animallover1 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    well iv read that as long as they r eating fine and active they should b ok is this true or it could be a cold and it will pass,
    she seems very active and moves around she doesnt eat a full 12 oz bottle but she eats grass and hay and drinks some water also
    i have only had her 1 week so far and i am new to having a goat so any advise about goats would help me thx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by