new to back yard chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dragonflylover1, Aug 20, 2014.

1. dragonflylover1

dragonflylover1 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Excited to be a part of this board. This is my first time raising chickens and I have so many questions.. all the way from what kind of chickens do I have to what they can and can not eat.
    I will put pictures up so I can find out what kind of chickens I have.
    They are all very very sweet and I love them so much.
    Dragonflylover1

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping you'll find helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    You can put up pictures of your chicks in the What Breed/Gender forum if you want help figuring out what kinds you have www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    There is a nice Chicken Treat article in the Learning Center https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens and this is a fun thread on what treats people feed their chickens https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407549/what-treat-did-your-chickies-get-today

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Kelsie2290 has given you some good links to get your questions answered. If you want to post some pics of your chickens here, we can take a shot at identifying the breeds for you as well. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Check out the "Raising Backyard Chickens," forum -the menu will open to the right, many topics there to get you through raising chickens, feeding, etc. etc.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! You will answers to many questions in the Learning Centre, which Kelsie linked for you. Enjoy the site and your chicken venture!

6. dragonflylover1

dragonflylover1 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Ok so here are some pictures of my chickens...
    The white one and my fluffy one that looks 1/2 owl are the ones I am wondering what kind of chickens they are : )
    My rooster passed away and the girls are very lonely now : (
    My chubby fluffy one is the one that is having leg problems. I think she has broken her leg. I am going to give her a baby asprin tonight and do not want to wrap her leg myself because I dont know what I am doing so off to the vet I go... gosh how do you find a chicken vet in town ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you all so much!! Moving my daugter to college today then I will put some pictures up : )
    Thanks again

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely follow the links that Kelsie has provided for you. Enjoy this new journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions. [​IMG] We're all here to help!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by