new to back yard chickens please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brothersmother, Feb 24, 2014.

1. brothersmother

brothersmother New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    Surprise, Arizona
    I just got my step mothers 3 chicks that are about 5 or 6 weeks old. One barred rock and 2 red something or others. I live in Phoenix and I worry about using a heat lamp outside. Do I stillstill need to use one at this age? Ours highs right now are in the 80's and lows in the 40's to 50's. Usually 50's. Being Phoenix I built the coop to stay cool not warm. Also whatv about vaccines? They had medicated starter food. When can they eat mostly scraps? Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, they don't need a heat lamp. You'll have to do your own research on vaccines and make your own decision. Somepeople do, some don't, and some must be given at a certain age. To ensure balanced nutrition, feed starter or grower til they start laying, then layer or flock raiser. I wouldn't recommend that more than 10% of their diet be table scraps.

3. Sseckel

Sseckel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    I wouldn't worry about using a heat lamp for your chicks at night, as long as they have all of their feathers. I am up in Iowa and our hens are braving lows down to 0 degrees before I turn on a lamp. Granted my hens are full grown as well but either way 40 degrees is well within their comfort zone. Just keep the drafts out of the coop. As for feeding scraps. I started once they had all their feathers though I am not sure when this is really ok to start. I am pretty new the chickens as well, only had mine for about a year. Either way mine get scrap almost daily but I always have layer feed available to them as well to make sure their nutritional needs are met. Good luck!

4. brothersmother

brothersmother New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    Surprise, Arizona
    Thank you. I suppose they are 5 weeks but our lows are 54 here in the dessert. They are still on starter and eating a lot. They seem to be enjoying the coop me and my boys built them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by