New to Back Yard Chickens

LeachFarm

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2020
Hello all not sure if I am posting in the correct area. We are kinda new to chickens as of April 2019. We raised ours from Murray McMurray and sadly lost our flock of 14 to one mink 4 weeks ago. We live in Maine and love chickens and they are family and were completely devastated when that happened. Since then we bought a handmade chicken coop/run made with hardware cloth. It seems to be the fort knox of coops. We bought 5 red rangers that were about 16 weeks as of 2 weeks ago. Over the past 2 days 2 of them have developed a limp and don't walk much. Since getting them they have never perched at night. Not sure if anyone has an insight

Hello all not sure if I am posting in the correct area. We are kinda new to chickens as of April 2019. We raised ours from Murray McMurray and sadly lost our flock of 14 to one mink 4 weeks ago. We live in Maine and love chickens and they are family and were completely devastated when that happened. Since then we bought a handmade chicken coop/run made with hardware cloth. It seems to be the fort knox of coops. We bought 5 red rangers that were about 16 weeks as of 2 weeks ago. Over the past 2 days 2 of them have developed a limp and don't walk much. Since getting them they have never perched at night. Not sure if anyone has an insight
I’m sorry about the loss of your flock.
Have you checked the bottom of the new girls feet for bumblefoot? Do you know if they were vaccinated for mareks?

They were not vaccinated but the other chicks from the flock we got from are ok.
First check the bottoms of their feet for abnormalities, bumblefoot looks like a black mass.
Even if the others are ok, doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not sick. Mareks is really jumping the gun, but it’s best to explore all avenues. They are young so it may take them some time to start using the roost - I wouldn’t push it if some are limping until you figure out the source of the limp. Are there any other symptoms they are displaying? Are they eating and drinking? Are they trying to walk around?

I am so sorry about the loss of your first flock. A wretched mink took out three of my four original hens, and there is likely no animal on the face of the earth that I detest more.

That aside, you are getting plenty of information on your limping chickens, so let me just say welcome to BYC. Someone here will surely have the right answer; they have literally saved the lives of some of my birds.

Back
Top Bottom