new to Back yard Chickens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CoopsAnonymous, Feb 12, 2015.

1. CoopsAnonymous

CoopsAnonymous New Egg

Feb 11, 2015
    Hillsboro OR
    HI I'm new to the site. Thinking of raising a couple chickens. I live In the hillsboro Oregon area I have a 1/4 acre lot. Any help or comments for starting would be appreciated.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest looking through our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is a lot of useful information there that can keep you from making beginners' mistakes. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Another good read is "Raising Backyard chickens," forum.

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Nice to have you join us!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. I would suggest you get 3 or 4 chickens and not just 2, they do prefer to be in a flock. Assuming you are wanting eggs, look at getting sexed baby chicks or older pullets to reduce the risk of an unwanted rooster. It is a lot more fun, IMO, starting with the chicks.

Good luck with your new adventure. Feel free to ask questions.

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    Two books: Chicken Health for Dummies and Raising Chickens for Dummies are in my opinion the two best books out there for new chicken owners. We were able to handle many situations that came up and still do refer to these books often. In addition to the books this site has been a life saver many times. When you do get your chicks make sure you by from a feed store or a seller that is honest and well known. Ask around about who in your area is recommended. If you buy from a private party go to their farm and check out the area they are kept in. Are they healthy, well cared for and the area clean? The Raising Chickens for Dummies will help prepare you for many things you will come across when first starting out.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

You'll find lots of good information in the Learning Center: Learning Center Articles

You may also want to chat with your Oregon neighbors for some tips on keeping chickens in your climate: Oregon

Good luck with any future poultry adventures![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by