New to Backyard Chicken Life!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sxhexp, Apr 6, 2018.

1. sxhexp

sxhexp In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2018
    Hi there! My name is Sam and I am VERY new to chickens! I got the bug when I had seen that my neighbors were raising chickens and the eggs were wonderful! I have the perfect place on my property to put a decent sized coop and room for the ladies to run around so, why not? I’m newly retired and have more time to garden and it would be wonderful to add chickens to our family.

I have been doing a LOT of research on all things chicken and all sites end up on “BackYard Chickens”! The site is teaming with sage ideas and wonderful ideas so I’m looking forward to being a member!

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Teila, 007Sean, Joeschooks and 3 others like this.
  3. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    It is great having you here! It is a great place to learn about chickens and talk with other chicken owners

4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Sam and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Teila, 007Sean, Joeschooks and 3 others like this.
  5. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Sam, it sounds like the chicken keeping virus is doing it's job by recruiting new members:D

Do you have chickens now or are you still in the planning stage? If you're still working out which breeds you want, this chart may be useful to you (it was to me):
    chooks.html

Best of luck to you!

Teila, 007Sean, Joeschooks and 2 others like this.
  6. GracieJ

GracieJ Songster

Feb 16, 2018
    Wales, UK
    Hi Sam!! Welcome to chicken/poultry parenthood - it's hard work but an absolute joy!

Hope you enjoy being a member of BYC - you'll love it here, it's a knowledgeable community of very kind people who are willing to share their advice and help you with any questions you have. :D We look forward to hearing about your experiences.

7. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    :welcome
    We're so glad you joined us, Sam :ya

8. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    :welcome Welcome!! Bienvenidos!! We are so happy to have you! Hope you enjoy this site as much as the rest of us! Its nice to be a part of the best chicken community :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy Enjoy ~M

9. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    :frowHello Sam. Congratulations on your retirement. Chickens sure are addictive. Great to have you in the BYC flock!

10. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Sam :welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: