New to BackYard Chickens and New to Raising chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JolandaH, Dec 18, 2016.

1. JolandaH

JolandaH Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2016
    First merry Christmas to everyone on Backyard Chickens!

My name is Jolanda, and I am original from the Netherlands,
    Late 2009 we (husband and 2 sons) moved to the USA and have lived in the greater Seattle area.

We recently moved to rural Duvall WA where we own 10 acres of land with numerous opportunities.
    The house came with a rooster, wooohoo, free alarm, but no kidding this rooster is a sweet beautiful one but a bit lonely (I would only assume).

Of course I want company for our rooster and rather want to buy locally ..
    Anyway, I am excited to be here and learn a ton about being a chick mom, any advise is appreciated, especially where to buy chickens near Duvall/Monroe WA.

Thanks in advance.
    Jo

1 person likes this.
  2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Hello and :welcome! I hope you enjoy BYC just as much as the rest of us do! Merry Christmas to you too! :D Hopefully you can find some hen's to keep your roo from being lonely. :) Best of luck!

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, and I am sure you will enjoy it here! Please make yourself at home! :frow

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under JolandaH [​IMG] Welcome!

Thank you and a Merry Christmas to you also.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Jolanda, it's nice to have you join us...Merry Christmas to you too!

Once you have 20 posts, you can use the buy-sell-trade forum here on BYC...there's always an assortment of birds there. You might also like to chat with other members in WA, just type Washington into the search box and your state thread should come up.

Good luck to you and enjoy your holidays!

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Jolanda.. Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Welcome to the world of chickens!

10. JolandaH

JolandaH Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2016
    Well I got my first 8 chickens from the Monroe Co-Op in January, and they are growing like crazy.
    Moved them into the barn a week ago after spending time in the spare room - laundry room and lastly garage.
    It is so fun to see them grow, play and do their thing.
    They have their stable next to 'Roost' you guessed it the rooster, and I have introduced them through the fence.
    Roost has been alone all winter and was sad and had no purpose in life as it seemed at times.

Now with the 8 young hens around, he spends all day outside, talking to them, teaching how to scratch for bugs, warns them when our lab comes around.
    The chicks would love to spend time in his coop, but I don't want them there yet (they are too young and can't help of thinking of chicken rape ... )
    Anyway ... yesterday morning when opening their coops, 5 of the 8 hens where in Roost's barn area... nothing special happening, put them back in their own coop and added an extra line of fense on top ...
    This morning they were still in their own barn area :)

By the way, if anyone knows of a mill or farm that can supply corn, wheat, peas and oats let me know
    I'd like to experiment with mixing my own chicken feed.

Thanks for taking the time to read ;)
    ~Jo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by