New to backyard chickens - in PA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 3cornishhens, Oct 2, 2012.

1. 3cornishhens

3cornishhens New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    North East PA
    My Coop
    Hi! I've been lurking for a while, and figured I should join since I have some specific questions about keeping cornish cross hens as pets.
    My blog introduction to the girls:
    https://volunteers4paws.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/introducing-enid-billina-and-octavia/
    Now.. I know, truly I know, what they were meant for and what the common outcome is for cornish crosses not slaughtered sometime in the first few months of their life.
    These girls though fell off a truck and ended up at a humane society. Therefore, when I adopted them, I agreed to not consume. I do eat chicken, but just not these chickens.

Right now we're just learning about them, how to best keep them, how to keep them healthy, and how to do right by them for however long we have them.

Since I only have three - and I live where temps can get right at or slighly below 0 degrees Fahrenheit, right now our focus is making sure we keep them happy and warm through the winter... which according to this upcoming weekend's temps is closer than we thought!

Other than the "keeping them warm" thing, we're also focused on keeping them healthy. We're looking at them as you would someone morbidly obese - what can we do to reverse the damage already done? So we let them run through our yard during the day (free range) and they eat a ton of greens and grasses. They get fresh produce daily, live mealworms daily, and I'm feeding them Layena plus omega 3. I sprinkle food grade DE once a week in the run and they get apple cider vinegar in their water 3 times a week.
    So far, so good. We've had them a month now! They're growing steadily but not too fast and they all seem to have decent mobility so far. They are smart, and they are starting to warm up to us (well, 2 of the 3).

[​IMG]

I know we have so much more to learn, and I'm excited to now officially be a part of Backyard Chickens!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, 3cornishhens, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. I think it's admirable that you are striving to allow your three rescued CornishX hens to have a different fate than what usually befalls them. I have actually read a post on BYC not long ago about a person who didn't want to process his CornishX but wasn't satisfied with their typical "wait beside the feeder mentality." He put them on something of a fitness regiment and they actually came around and became healthier and happier birds!! I wish a similar result for your CornishX. Best of luck to you and enjoy BYC!!!

4. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello & Greetings from Kentucky. KYTinpusher has provided you with an excellent informative link. Best of luck to you and your girls.

[​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    [​IMG]Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan - sounds like what you are doing now is what they need.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

9. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps