New to Backyard Chickens.

Deb60

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2016
New to this!! Have had my eleven chickens for about three months. Bought them as chicks. I'm really enjoying them and can't wait for eggs. Not sure what breed they are. Was told Rhode Island Reds but they are light red with patches of white.

Oh that sounds good!! Thank you so much. Do red sex links have good temperment? What are some pros and cons?

They do! Mine is one of my friendliest chickens. Pros are that they are good layers of large brown eggs - you really will get tons and tons. They are also friendly and docile. They also don't go broody, which is a pro if you don't want chicks because that means they don't stop laying to brood as other breeds do.

One of the cons however is that they often stop laying or slow way down after two or three years, having run through their egg supply. They are also often prone to reproductive issues such as ovarian cancer because they are such high production birds.

Last edited:
So Red Sex Link chickens are high producers of eggs but only for a few years? I was told most chickens lay eggs for up to 8 years. I wish I had known this because I have eleven. Now I wish I had diversified a bit. I still could. I know some friends who would like a few chickens. May place several of them in good homes. Never to be eaten!!! Then get few more other types. What are some favorite chickens and why?
Thanks. Deb60

Black Australorps are very good layers and can tolerate heat & cold. They are generally docile birds and easy keepers.

Do they lay eggs for more than 2 - 3 years? Which types of chickens lay eggs longer?
Deb60

Hi and welcome to BYC! They don't necessarily stop laying completely, they just decline in production. Like my birds are 5 years old now and in the summer we get on average an egg a week from each bird. Breeds that are meant to be commercial layers will lay a lot when they're young and then burn out when they're older because that's what they're bred for--maximum production for a short period of time. So, if you're looking for longevity, some of the hardier breeds may lay with less problems for slightly longer, but there will still be a decline in production and possibly less eggs to start out with. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom