New to Backyard Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by snowfun, Sep 16, 2016.

1. snowfun

snowfun New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Hello everyone!

My name is Toni and we bought a ranch last year here in Montana. I'm new to raising Chickens, ducks and Geese...We have currently 16 laying hens I got them in March as day olds..Aracuana's and mixed flock. Plus a Khaki Campbell female duck and a female Rouen duck. My favorite though is my 2 African gray geese,male and female ( or so I think). we've had all since day old. I am in love with my geese...Butterball (male) and Gracie (female). But Gracie has been simulating mating I think?? She stands on the ducks in the water. But the ducks ask for her to do that...Anyone else has any similar sightings? They do this every day. Anyways thats all I have. I'd love to hear from other people to have geese, ducks and chickens...

Thanks guys!!!!

Toni

2. Carpenter

Carpenter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! That is funny about your goose standing on the ducks in the water. I had an Indian Runner drake that would ride around on our Pekin female like a surf board in the water. It was the funniest thing! Anytime they were around water it was showtime. It didn't matter how deep the water was, puddles in the gravel road were a popular spot. That Indian runner would also chase after chickens and try to do the same thing, thankfully they figured out that couldn't fly and were able to keep from being the surfboard!

If you get a chance to post some pictures, I would love to see your African geese. My neighbor has some, they are neat birds!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would supervise them, it may seem funny but, a big goose "surfboarding" on a small duck could probably drown it. Just as females are drowned because the males prefer to breed on water.

Also ducks(and I imagine geese) have different anatomy than chickens. Drakes or Ganders trying to breed a hen chicken will either badly injure or kill her.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Toni, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard! Enjoy those ducks! :)

5. snowfun

snowfun New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Hi thanks for the story about your runner drake, sounds funny!!! Its really funny also to watch these guys go running around standing on each other...lol I have to figure out how to post a video though first...

All Smiles,
    Toni

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions!

8. snowfun

snowfun New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Thanks! Cuz I have lots of question!

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia

Bring em on!!:):)

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Yes, sometimes female ducks and geese will mount each other as a display of dominance. This can be an issue, though, as the geese may drown the ducks. If this behavior occurs, they should be separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by