New to backyard chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Melinsd, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Melinsd

Melinsd New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Hello-I just moved to South Dakota and plan on raising Silver Wyandotte Chickens in the Spring. I prefer to research first and find out much info as possible thus my membership here. I welcome any suggestions, comments etc. Thank you and I'd love to read your experiences too.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you decided to join us.

Good luck with the research and your plans.

I have no experience with Wyandottes, but they are a lovely breed and reported to be very cold hardy - a good choice for your area.

And, I'm in Georgia, so no help with planning a coop/run for your winters [​IMG] (which I do not envy:)

If you haven't already explored our site, the best places to visit first are the Learning Center and Coops/Runs forums.

You can search for folks near you under the "Where am I, Where are you" forums.

IMO spring is the best time to start a new flock. Get your plans prepared so you will be ready for them next Spring.

Feel free to ask questions, you'll find the folks here friendly and helpful.

3. Melinsd

Melinsd New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Thank you for your welcome and comments and suggestion about "Where I am, where are you..I will do. Thanks again. Mel in SD

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greeting from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community. You will find BYC to be a very friendly place. A great place to stop is the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Loads of great articles about all aspects of chicken raising. And in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/general-breed-discussions-faq you can locate the Wyandotte thread and ask breed-specific questions of other owners. I have had White, gold laced and silver laced. Great birds! Best wishes to you and your spring chickens! :)

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello Mel, welcome to Backyard chickens! Wyandottes are a great breed, I have Golden and Silver Laced Wyandottes, I will post some pictures of them. They were the first breed I fell in love with and just knew I had to have them! I started with Silver Laced, then my brother gave me Golden Laced for my birthday, and I want the Blue Laced. Here is the Wyandotte thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/279470/the-wyandotte-thread/11680#post_17574811
    And since you are living in a part of the country that tends to have harsh weather, you might like to check out this thread I started, it has 68 posts right now, so you may find some of it helpful!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-elements-with-your-chickens/60#post_17584655

And then the Wyandottes:
    [​IMG]
    Golden Laced Wyandotte Pullet.
    [​IMG]
    This Silver Laced Wyandotte got a bit sneaky....
    [​IMG]
    One of my 3 Silver Laced roosters.
    [​IMG]
    Silver Laced Wyandotte when she was littler.

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Mel, hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do. [​IMG]

9. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by