New to Backyard Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cshewitt, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Cshewitt

Cshewitt New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Wellington County, Ontario
    Hi all, greetings from Ontario, Canada.....in the process of purchasing a hobby farm, near Markdale, Ontario. Have decided to begin my new career raising a few chickens, but having done months of research and falling in love with chickens....I think this may not be the one or two I was thinking about. I get a question in my mind and then after reading and browsing for answers, I get completely side-tracked and forget what I had originally set out looking for...lol.
    Of course everyone knows there are no 'stupid' questions....well, I think I may have one.....
    Do chickens 'urinate'..?...Honestly, have never seen anyone write about it.....and, of all the plans I have seen, is it ok to put chicken wire, hardware cloth, etc on the 'bottom' of their run.....to make it predator proof...nothing can dig under and the grass etc grows through the wire, they can get at bugs etc.
    Thank you everyone....and I'm very excited about getting started.....!!

2. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

HI! [​IMG]

3. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens do NOT urinate... their urine come out with their feces [​IMG]

I personally think that the wire will work, but i wouldn't do it only because then hennies like to scratch in the dirt [​IMG]

4. Cshewitt

Cshewitt New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Wellington County, Ontario
    Thanks Troyergal...I forgot to mention, they would be free-range, but only when I am outside around with them.....the run would be portable to Of course, my plans are likely to change a million times by the time I actually start to build....just want to cover every angle. the 'coup' would be built where the dust bath, etc were all permanently placed.

5. Rick O Shea

Rick O Shea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2015
    A wire predator apron at ground level around exterior of run is a good idea. I would not recommend a hardware cloth or a fencing floor as TroyerGal stated, they like to scratch and have solid footing as a henhouse floor.

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Congrats on chicken keeping! No, chickens do not urinate. Their urine comes out with their feces as @TroyerGal said.
    [​IMG] You have been given some great advice, so I will just say have a great time on here and best wishes! [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here! The urine in a chickens feces is the white you see in the feces. (someone correct me if I am wrong) I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by