New to backyard chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SoNNeR79, Feb 24, 2017.

1. SoNNeR79

SoNNeR79 Just Hatched

Hello my wife, kids and i have decided we would like to have a few chickens around our property. We live about a half hour west of syracuse new york. We are seeking any advice on helping us through our journey. I have read quite a few books on raising backyard chickens and scoured forums (except this one for whatever reason... stupid google) but i am seeking real knowledge on raising a few chickens in our yard. Especially keeping them through the winter and more importantly keeping them happy. We started squarefoot gardening a few years ago and i believe its time to add to our little "homestead". This is going to be a learning experience for myself and more importantly for my 3 kids to teach them responsibility and an understanding of where your food comes from. So any help with hardy egg laying breeds that enjoy the frigid winters of new york and how to keep them happy i am all ears and accepting of any and all advice. Thank you in advance.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224 - these guys will be best placed to advise on coop construction and how to most effectively winterise your flock.

All the best
    CT

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Looks like CTKen has loaded you with some great links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Welcome and god luck, there is tons of information to be found here, use the magic search box!

Gary

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

In the Learning Center there is a good article named "Pickin the Right Frickin Chicken", you may find that helpful in deciding which breeds to try. A mixed flock is nice, that way you can try several breeds at one time to see which you may prefer.

Best of luck to you and your family!

6. silkieRaiser

silkieRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I hope to see you around the forums!!!!

7. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! :)

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under SoNNeR79 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice and links, I will just wish you and your family all the best and good luck with your flock when they arrive.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Welcome, take a seat, and don't worry about that, it washes out! [​IMG]

For starters, the primary things you, or rather they are going to need is a safe place to sleep, access to clean water and healthy food. If you're going to free range them your food bill will obviously be much lower, as they'll be spending most of their happy waking hours hunting for bugs, seeds and whatever other goodies they can find. Which means you are going to have to make your garden chicken-proof, because they have little regard for property rights. And no, "chicken wire" is not a viable option, I've seen chickens make a way through it!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  10. Hammer65

Hammer65 Just Hatched

Feb 24, 2017
    Hi my name is Paul and I am excited to chat about my hobby. Cheers Paul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by