New to Backyard Chickens

Chickenchip

Chirping
Feb 23, 2018
Wooster, Ohio
I joined to be able to connect with other people who are raising chickens. I’m entering into this as a hobby so starting with a small group of chickens and hope to expand in the future. I live outside Wooster city limits in Franklin Twp and just starting to set up my flock. I guess that’s what it’s called. ??

I am trying to find a coop I can put together myself. Most coops on the internet are only for a couple chickens so I’m am going to visit places to see what’s available.

Wish me luck!

Thanks all. I’m alone otherwise my husband would have built it. He built our barns and home but passed 3 years ago. It’s just a chore with 6 acres and honestly I could not build one myself. My two neighbors are gems but I can’t ask them to build me a chicken coop but I will look on craigs list. Thanks so much.

I joined to be able to connect with other people who are raising chickens. I’m entering into this as a hobby so starting with a small group of chickens and hope to expand in the future. I live outside Wooster city limits in Franklin Twp and just starting to set up my flock. I guess that’s what it’s called. ??

I am trying to find a coop I can put together myself. Most coops on the internet are only for a couple chickens so I’m am going to visit places to see what’s available.

Wish me luck!

Welcome, Welcome to Backyard Chickens you can buy the biggest yard shed from home depot cutting a chicken door in it or buy two smaller ones connecting them :lau but glad you joined us

Please check out your area's Craig's list, often dog runs, large dog houses, coops etc are available very cheap or sometimes free. Often people will decide chickens aren't for them and offer coop, chickens and feed just to be rid of them.
Thanks I will try that. I never thought of a large dog house though. I plan on screening in a lean too off one of my small barns for a large run. It’s like 20x 12 so maybe a dog house would work? Would that serve as a nesting area for them to lay eggs? Sorry but I’m so new to this

Hows it going im from west salem ohio. 10 mins away my best advice is build one to your specs because they cost a lot. Or around here you could stop by one of the amish spots and ask them there is one on 175 and 604 they build custom animal hutches good luck. Meyer hatchery in polk has some pre built ones also along with rko & tsc but their smaller :welcome If you arent able but can buy it i can help assemble ill post a pic of mine that uses an old swingset as a run.

Last edited:
Greetings and welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. There's one dedicated o coops containing thousands of pictures. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

I'm sorry that you have lost your spouse. My sincere condolences. Even after 3 years, I'm sure it's still with you. It sounds like the lean to along the existing barn would work excellent as an enclosed run area. I have no idea what you have to work with as far as money or building experience. Perhaps you could hire an Amish person or handyman to enclose it for you. You could then frame up a shed sized coop with exterior door access at one end. Or just build a basic enclosure inside to give them a place to get out of the weather. The Amish also build excellent coops.

I would advise against a prefab coop like you see at TSC. They are typically cheaply built with sub standard materials and as such will only last a year or two at most. They are better suited to emergency use for brooding hens, quarantine situations and similar. They are a huge waste of money better spent. Also, they will really only house 1/2 or less, the number of birds they advertise. A large fowl bird really needs ~4 square ft/bird inside the coop and ~10 square feet/bird in the run. These are recommended minimums. You can make a little less work with bantams or smaller birds or with large coops with lots of birds (They tend to flock/clump together, giving space for those who need it).

I hope things come together for you and that you'll share some pics as you progress.

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :old will never remember & look there first. I recommend at least your state as we have a worldwide membership and that's the lowest level most can figure out. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Back
Top Bottom