New to Backyard Chickens!

glamrancher

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
Hello fellow BYC members!
I am new to the world of raising chickens...in fact, 1 day new. We just got 2 chicks yesterday (Ameracauna babies) and are so excited to begin our journey.
Of course I already have a question for everyone -
I know chicks have a tendency to peck each other as I've read about it. However, is it a factor that there are only 2 that it seems excessive? I thought we would ease into raising chickens and get some experience under our belt before adding, but if we should have more on the front end, I can do that.
Any suggestions?

Welcome to BYC from Highland Co. Ohio!!! When chickens are bored, crowded, or lacing calcium they will peck off each others feathers (usually tail feathers). When a feather is pulled off there is a dot of blood left in its place. If the other chickens see the blood they will peck at it until the poor chicken is killed. My family has four chickens and they never pull each others feathers out but my uncle has 58 chickens the same age and they are always pecking at each other. So maybe they just do it when there are too many together. Hopefully your two will not do it! Good Luck!!!

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio!

Chicks peck to explore, know and remember their world. A red heat bulb can help, it is more difficult to spot the bright colors for them.

Try placing something safe in their brooder, a rock or two, a branch, they don't have to be big, just something else to check out other than each other.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks All for the advice! I'm going to try some distractions like rocks and hope 'Freckles' settles down a bit!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom