New to backyard chickens

chickentherapy1

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2013
Well we don't have our chickens yet, but we have a 5' x 6' coop with six nesting boxes and working on building a fence. My husband and I are arguing over how big it should be. I want the area to be as big as possible to allow them to range more freely. He is concerned about the chickens taking over the yard. I have ordered 12 pullets. They are Rhode Island hybrids crossed with leghorns. They should arrive mid-September . I bought them at the local Feed store. I'm so excited. I decided on pullets, because I didn't want to hassle with brooding chicks. I also wanted to get enough of them so that I would not have to introduce new birds from different hatcheries and deal with messing up the hierarchy of the flock.

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! I'd go bigger on the coop. The recommended coop size is 4 sq. ft. per bird. Might want to go 5 x 10 at a minimum. Also 12 hens won't use more than 3 nest boxes so you can free up some room that way as well. Good luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif
Redsoxs is right hens like to fight over nest boxes and all want to use the popular one even if all are identical. Some hens will crowd in or even climb over the present occupant and sometimes lay an egg on top of her. Meanwhile the other nest box remain empty.

Back
Top Bottom