New to backyard chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MMorton, Dec 1, 2013.

1. MMorton

MMorton New Egg

Nov 29, 2013
    Hi my name is Michael Morton, I live in New Port Richey Florida and I've been keeping chickens for around ten years, but never did more then house, feed and collect eggs from
    a mixture of chickens that purchased from Tractor supply. About six months ago, A neighbor had a Dark Brahma rooster he happened to buy at Tractor supply that he didn't want any more. After I fell in love with him(he is more like a dog then a chicken) . I decided to raise some Brahmas. He is beautiful but I didn't care for the Dark hen so I decided to buy some Lite brahma hens and a rooster and raise Lite Brahmas. It sounded easy but finding Brahmas was not as easy as I thought it would be. I did find two hens then one then the rooster and then the forth hen, these are great birds. I saw a picture of Buff Brahmas and thought I would like them, with the support of my wonderful wife we continued traveling the state looking for brahmas. With this new direction, I started to read more about chickens and found another breed that I seemed to like. so mile after mile we are now in eye ball deep. We have four lite hens and a rooster named Reggie, four buff hens and a rooster named Ray, four Blue copper marans hens and a rooster named Johnny. With all this I need to separate all the different breeds and had to rebuild our coup to keep the boys with there girls, now my favorite and first (of this new interest) rooster is alone, so he now has his own girls and if have grow to enjoy the darks,now that I have the best ones ever.

Sorry for being so long, but if love these birds .
    Thanks for reading
    Michael

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Hi!

6. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    :welcome be sure to quarantine new birds! I think the light brahmas are beautiful :)

7. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey