New to backyard chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Terria, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Terria

Terria New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    Pink Oklahoma
    Hello, My name is Terria, Im 35 married with 2 children a daughter 13 and a son 11. We live in Pink

Oklahoma. I have never raised animals before but, my husband did as a child. 6 months ago We got our

first chickens 7 Rhode Island Red Female Chickens, and 1 Rhode Island Red Rooster. October 27th 2014

ready to start laying. October 29, 2014 we got 12 Guineas from craigslist. then the following sat November

1st we got 10 Barred Rocks all female. By the way all this was my husbands ideal who sprung all this on me

and said by the way your a chicken rancher now! LOL!! He works and I stay home!! I have no ideal how to

care of any of them!! I didn't even take a liking to them at first after the first week of feeding them I started

researching and the more I learned the more I loved them!! SO before I now it. We have he brought hove 85

baby chickens mixed on November 4th 2014 29 rir 56 easter eggers and 2 barred rocks. I was so excited so many so little. Man did

grow fast and eat geesh they can eat!! I researched anything and everything so I would do a good job

raising them!! which lead me to this site!! I signed up 6 months ago but internet wasn't available shortly after

Signing up, then we had to move, lost some chickens and Guineas because of it very heart breaking for me,

even didn't want to be around my chickens any more but now im back into it and now also have 4 baby

ducklings added to my little farm and a rabbit!! Rabbit weve had since Dec 20 2014. and the ducks since

feb 21 2015!!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you really learned about chicken math fast! Good luck with your flock, you should be getting a lot of eggs from them. Sorry about the birds you lost in the move :hugs

3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    [​IMG]
    wow, 85 chicks!! that a lot of birds! Glad you could join! feel free to ask any questions and we will be happy to try to answer them.
    Ducks are so fun! so are rabbits!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

Wow, you have a lot of chickens! Good luck with all of them.[​IMG]

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you decided to join! Let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help you if we can. [​IMG] There is a lot of great info on here, and lots of very knowledgeable people, so I'm sure you'll be able to find any info you may be looking for. [​IMG] Enjoy your flock!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you lost some birds in the move. Flocks do have a tendency to grow alarmingly fast! You must be very busy with your flock and rabbit.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your flock in the future and hope you enjoy BYC I am sure you will :frow

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

How nice to meet you! I love your avatar!!!

Sorry about your losses!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, you fit in just find. Your husband really gave you the test of fire. He could have gotten just a few to see if you got to like them. But to dump so many in your care because he wanted them - wasn't the right thing to do. I am glad you got to love them. I hope you aren't overwhelmed by so many - even though a woman is at home she has many tasks to take care of. Terria, I hope your children help you out carrying for so many animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by