New to backyard chickens

ali2259

Hatching
May 16, 2015
Hi my name is Ali and we are new chicken owners. I have 5x 8 week old pullets and we are wondering if one is a rooster? Any thoughts

Yes I have been afriad of that, she/he has acted differently since day one. When they were Yong chicks, the one of the right ( cheepers) was a lot more affectionate than the others. When I started to notice the comb and wattle development, I was like " on no!" lol still happy to have a cockerel in my small flock though.

Welcome to BYC, Ali. Glad you decided join our flock. I agree with the other members; the Delaware on the right pic is definitely a cockerel. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Delawares.

Thank you all! yes it is a bit of a guessing came but I think you are all right. I love all the information that backyard chickens has to offer:)

And yes I will definitely be keeping him:) we live in the country so there is no worry about neighbours. I let the girls free range all day as we have a lot evergreen tree that they use as cover. When I researched about free ranging your flock and predator protection, I read that sometimes having a cockerel in your flock can help. We also have a boarder collie that watches over them:)

Back
Top Bottom