New to backyard suburban chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mcdowell89, May 22, 2019.

1. mcdowell89

mcdowell89 Chirping

May 9, 2019
    Hello I am new to the whole backyard suburban aspect of chickens. I do not have my chicks yet but have ordered 4 through Meyers hatchery ( I am a little nervous about getting them through the mail) . I will have a silver laced wyandotte, gold laced wyandotte, black australorp, and an easter egger. Since I can not have any roosters where I live I chose a variety of hens. I have one daughter 10 yrs old she is wanting a silkie any ideas on how well the silkie and chicks I have coming will get along are more than welcome. I tried to choose pretty docile breeds just by doing some online research. Our family consist of me, my husband, our daughter, and our 4 dogs. All my dogs are well mannered and I dont foresee any problems with the chickens except my dachshund, I am a little nervous as I know they can be prey driven I am kinda hoping hes scared of the chickens. Any advice on dogs meeting chickens for the first time and how to introduce is welcome as well. I guess I should mention I grew up in a rural area we had chickens, geese, horses, and goats growing up till we sold the property and home so I'm not completely in the dark when it comes to taking care of them but this is my first time getting some and starting in a more suburban setting. Feel free to drop and tips or suggestions starting out with my new chicks.

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 9 others like this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    Don't introduce the dogs to the chicks is my advice.
    I learned the hard way.

3. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us and I hope you'll enjoy this site as much as we all do!

4. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens best to keep dogs and chickens in different places
    our old corgi is the only one partly safe

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 8 others like this.
  5. mcdowell89

mcdowell89 Chirping

May 9, 2019
    I plan on keeping them apart the chickens will have the range of the back yard during the day until we get home then I plan on using scratch or some similar treat method to get them in there coop and run I got that advice from another person as I was worried to let them free range and how to get them back to the coop when it came time for the dogs to have the yard (our dogs are spoiled so they are always left to enjoy our indoor patio area rather than be left out all day so they arent having to change their habits due to the hens). I guess I was just hoping there could be away for them to one day coexist in the yard together but I assume probably not our dogs growing up were always separate from our farm animals. Thank yall and I am so happy to be here I have already seen some great coop ideas and other articles.

6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Dogs and chickens mixing in harmony can be done but with 4... well, you'll be lucky if they all tolerate the chickens. Good luck.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Agree with Dobie Lover, I wouldn't even attempt to get them used to chickens. I would just NOT let them out together. It's the chickens that pay the price even if the doggies are just playing.

8. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

9. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

10. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Free Ranging

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

I let my dogs see the chicks quite a lot when they're small, so they can get used to the peeping. They cannot get to them, but can see and smell them. My girls are pretty well mannered and easily controlled, though. They are to the point now that they don't bother the broody mamas that are running around with babies. That has been about 9 years in the making, at least for the oldest girl ;)

Now that's not to say I've never had problems with them, because I certainly have.

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: