New to be Chickie mom is a nervous wreck! Questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WalkingHorse, Jul 4, 2011.

1. WalkingHorse

WalkingHorse Out Of The Brooder

Hi! I've been reading this board for months trying to learn all I can. We've got our coop almost ready to go. Our brooder is set up and awaiting our new babies. The brooder is located in my old barn office. I am confused about how cool or warm to keep it? I live in East Texas and we reach around 100 during the afternoon. Do I need a heat lamp? I do have an ac in the office so I can cool it down if I need to.

The other big thing I am concerned about is that I ordered from McMurray back in April and my delivery date says 7/4 on the web site. Do they send emails when they ship? Are they going to be stuck in shipping limbo due to the holiday?

Thank you for any info and input you can give. [​IMG]

Kimberly

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Not sure about the shipping but they need to have a heat lamp on them at 95 degrees and then each week raise the light so the temp goes down 5 degrees....90 degrees the next week, then 85 degrees. You will have so much fun being a chicken mom!

3. WalkingHorse

Thank you so much for the reply! [​IMG] I guess I am concerned about the ambient temperature in the room. I would guess that it hits about 90 during the day and drops to about 80 at night. I understand the need for light...have night lights installed but trying to clarify about the heat lamp. The brooder is big so I am thinking I'll hang a heat lamp above one corner. *sigh* Just don't want it to be too hot or too cold. [​IMG]

Anyone else have details on McMurray shipping info?

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Don't worry too much. There is wiggle room. Have a thermometer handy to see how the temps end up. Watching them will give you a good idea if they are too cold or too hot. If they are piled up in a corner and peeping, they're too cold. If they are panting, they're too hot. I raised my first day old chicks this spring and they all did just fine thanks to all the help here.

5. WalkingHorse

Thank you so much for your reply. [​IMG] You guys are the best! I know horses, donkeys, dogs, cats and cows. Chickies are new to me and I just want to do it right. I can only hope they didn't get shipped out on Saturday and are in transit heck over the holiday weekend.

6. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    [​IMG] from a fellow texan!!!

7. WalkingHorse

Hey! Thank you the4heathernsmom! [​IMG] Any tips you can send my way would be appreciated! Here's a pic of the brooder as hubby was working on it: http://twitpic.com/5gugdh The brooder is now in my old barn office (old in as I don't use it anymore) but it does get warm in there unless I turn on the AC. I am so concerned about the temps. But even more freaked out about the shipping of my new babies.

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I've never had chicks shipped but many hatcheries ship on mondays so the chicks don't get stuck over the weekend. I believe they do send out an email when they ship but you could try calling if you're worried. Did you already call your post office to give them the head's up that you have chicks coming?

9. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    The brooder is big so I am thinking I'll hang a heat lamp above one corner. *sigh* Just don't want it to be too hot or too cold.

If they are cold they will huddle under the light. If it is too hot they will scatter away from it. Being too hot is more harmful than too cold for young chicks IMHO. Especially in Texas at this time of year!
    You wont have any problem using your AC in your office either. Just keep them out of the direct draft and the lamp on in the corner of the brooder. Be sure to check the brooder temps with a good
    thermometer before you put in the chicks. One by one dip their little beaks into the water. They will find the food on their own. Chicks are amazingly adaptive.
    Actually, once they are feathered out (say 10 weeks) they will be able to withstand variations of heat and cold that are amazing.​

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  10. WalkingHorse

Thank you for the replies BoltonChicken and dianaross77. Yes, I did let my post office know that I have chickens coming. I will definitely make sure they are out of the draft of the AC. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by