New to being a chicken mama!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mandinity, Sep 4, 2016.

  1. mandinity

    mandinity New Egg

    4
    0
    9
    Sep 4, 2016
    Florida
    Hey guys, I've been lurking around reading posts on here for months and finally signed up. I got 6 chicks from Rural King 2 1/2 weeks ago. 1 RIR, 1 bantam black Sumatra, 1 Partridge rock, 1 buff Plymouth Rock, 1 Americauna, and 1 blue Andalusian. We are already so in love with them. I keep myself up at night worrying they're roosters because we can't have roosters where we live. The thought of having to give some away and potentially getting eaten absolutely crushes me. The lady at rural King said they're all pullets and there's a 90% chance that it's accurate. But with my luck I picked all 6 or of the 10% population. Does rural King have a pretty good track record with their pullets? My absolute favorite of the chicks is my RIR, and I didn't even want her originally, but she's the sweetest and most cuddly baby. She comes right up to my hand so I can pick her op and she sleeps right on me for as long as I'll let her, but I'm afraid she's getting roo characteristics. They're almost 3 weeks old... A lot of people say you can't really tell for sure until they're crowing or laying... Any advice or thoughts?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  2. FreedomFarm13

    FreedomFarm13 Chillin' With My Peeps

    486
    66
    116
    Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    For that RIR, at less than 3 weeks, I would say it looks like a little cockerel to me, but I haven't raised many single comb chicks...also, I'm assuming the "ameraucana" is the little chipmunk chick? It's not a true ameraucana, it's an EE, or Easter Egger. Also, were they in a pullet bin, or were they not sexed? Other than that, all your new chickies are beautiful! Good luck with them!!
     
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. mandinity

    mandinity New Egg

    4
    0
    9
    Sep 4, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks everyone!
     
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  4. mandinity

    mandinity New Egg

    4
    0
    9
    Sep 4, 2016
    Florida
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the breeds were labeled incorrectly! The babies were all in bins, two breeds to a bin, and the lady told me they were all sexed except the bantam and they had a 90% accuracy in the sexing, and that they were female.
    Thanks for your input and for clarifying a breed :)
    [​IMG]
     
  5. Pork Pie Ken

    Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

    28,660
    14,768
    616
    Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd also agree that the chicken in the top pic is a little fella - sorry [​IMG]
     
  6. donrae

    donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

    31,452
    3,532
    538
    Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

    Could be a little cockerel, but don't freak out just yet. It's early days, and I'd wait it out and see how the next few weeks go.

    Rural King has nothing to do with the sex of the birds. They get them from a hatchery, that's who does the sexing. Overall, hatcheries do a pretty good job, hence the 90%.

    Post again around 5-6 weeks and we should be able to set your mind at ease then.
     
  7. drumstick diva

    drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

    82,458
    10,170
    816
    Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm thinking cockerel also.
     
  8. BantamFan4Life

    BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

    84,499
    3,795
    646
    Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Too early to tell for sure, but I'm leaning towards cockerel.
     
  9. mandinity

    mandinity New Egg

    4
    0
    9
    Sep 4, 2016
    Florida
    Sorry for the double comment I posted, not used to the set up of this yet lol Thank y'all for the input! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a miracle with this baby!
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by