New to birds--Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by winstonsgrrrl, Sep 17, 2009.

1. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    So I got BF talked into a few chickens, and we're finishing up the coop/run area. After spending too much time on this board, I'm thinking about getting some quail, too. Am I crazy for starting both at the same time? There's a swap meet coming up that will have the breeds of both that I'm interested in. BF thinks I'm definitely crazy now, but I think he'll warm up to the idea eventually. [​IMG]

2. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Very crazy but go for it. I have chickens, ducks, & trying to start quail myself. Good luck with your birds.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Chickens, ducks, quail here. I'd like some pheasant, chukar,(emu?). I spend 90% of my online time on this forum. I guess we're all crazy [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Only chickens ducks and quail? What's wrong with you people?? I have chickens, ducks, geese, quail, guineas, pigeons, and did have some chukars before they escaped [​IMG] Of course you're crazy, why else would you be here?

5. kingmt

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Quote:I bought a dozen pheasant eggs but none hatched. I'm think of some geese. I can't figure out a use for guineas or pigeons though.

6. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Which are easier to care for--chickens or quail?

7. ksukristin

ksukristin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I am doing the same thing as you so I must be crazy too! [​IMG] I wanted chickens for a LONG time but when I got my house 2 months ago I got the opportunity to get a few quail (I had read that they are almost like "starter chickens" or a good warm-up to raising chickens) so I took the plunge and I'm totally hooked and want more quail, and just called a local guy this week to buy some chickens from him!!! [​IMG]

I think that some of my friends think I'm a little crazy but then I just hang out more here on the forum where it's normal to be this crazy about birds [​IMG]

Go for it!

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I bought a dozen pheasant eggs but none hatched. I'm think of some geese. I can't figure out a use for guineas or pigeons though.

Guineas are good bug eaters, pigeons are just for looks [​IMG] I've hatched a few pheasant, turkeys, and chukars, but they have either disappeared or died [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  9. kingmt

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Quote:Quail eat less but other then that it is about the same to me. The quail take less time to care for though because everything is smaller. You need much less room also.

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    yea, you're insane [​IMG] hehe, no you're not but, really, you're asking the wrong people... you know you will be enabled (though, I see you already are or you wouldn't be asking) HAHAHAH! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by