new to birds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sbennett, May 11, 2009.

1. sbennett

sbennett Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Locust
    we got 6 ducklings at tsc about a month ago (right at easter) and had been keeping them in a rabbit hutch. they are big enough now that we want to move them into their own pen. i'm concerned about them flying off if we don't completely enclose the pen. also are there any treats we can feed them? right now they are still on starter food.

any tips?

2. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    What breeds are they? Different breeds have different "flight" characteristics. Some are bred to get to fat to really fly off anywhere, some need a long running start, and some can just jump and take off.

I just had to post this again the other day for someone, but here is a list of treats and no-nos for ducks that we have been working on. There are a few contested items on that list, but if you aren't sure then feed sparingly or not at all (these are treats after all, they should never be fed enough of to get any duck sick in the first place).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=137379

If they are a month old I think you can move them on to grower food. If your local feed store does not have grower food (the in-between food between duckling stage and laying/breeding stage) then just keep on feeding them starter until it get's closer to laying time.

ETA: DUH! Wrote about a link I never pasted.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    What breed? Lots of them won't fly. Mine are pekin, rouen and khakis and none of them can get a foot off the ground. But we did put wire over the top so when they are in at night there are no worries about predators (see my set up on my website, scroll to NEW DIGS...) And treats....I know there is a link here to a list. Search duck treats and I'm sure you'll find it. I give mine any leftover vege scraps....peas, lettuce, chard, cabbage. I have even fixed them scrambled eggs (hate to admit that one but they love them!). NO bread! NO junk food. I guess just think healthy :)

Good luck!

4. sbennett

sbennett Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Locust
    we have to reg. white and four mallards

5. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:I'm guessing that when you say "reg. white" it is a Pekin, so you won't have much problems with them flying off. They jump and flap a bit sometimes, if they are skinny they might even glide for a while, but they really won't go anywhere.

The mallards however, if they are true mallards they will be very good fliers and might take off one day. They might fly around the neighborhood but always come back though, you never know. If they are Rouens, then they were bred to be "flightless" mallards so they are more like the Pekin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by