New to board, but not to chickens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenBuff, Nov 16, 2015.

1. ChickenBuff

ChickenBuff Just Hatched

Nov 16, 2015
    Ive been raising chickens now for a couple years. Have gotten some useful information from this board before, so fgured i shoudl go ahead and join, maybe give back to the community.

As I said, I have been raising chickens for a couple years now. I've had as many as 100 chickens at once, and right now I am down to 5 hens. I've raised rhode island reds barred rocks, ameraucanas, leghorns, and cornish crosses. I raise them free range, although the crosses didn't do very good on forage. Next spring I am planning on my first micro scale commercial flock, Ill be ordering 300 chicks, 200 pullets and 100 bonus chicks. These will be kept in a fenced area though so I may go with a production variety.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Wow! You sure have a good sized flock there. Good luck with them all and feel free to ask any questions. We're happy to have you!

3. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    Welcome to BACK YARD CHICKENS! I'm glad you joined!
    Oh wow love those breeds! That's a lot of birds the most chickens I had are 60.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. [​IMG]

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Wow, that's a whole lot of birds! And to think, sometimes I have a hard time keeping track of my 10, lol.

Good luck to you! I sure would like to see a photo of 300 chicks when you get them [​IMG]

8. ChickenBuff

ChickenBuff Just Hatched

Nov 16, 2015
    I will definately post a pic of them :) I am using an old camper which has been repurposed as a coop. My guestimates are that that will be the maximum number that can fit in it at one. The bonus chicks tend to be all males, so I will probably sell most of them off, but since I don't breed chickens, any roosters will do for keeping order in the flock. They will have an approximately 5000 sq ft run until they are old enough to free range, then they have over 20 acres.

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Nice!

10. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by