New to breeding and raising silver pheasants

SilverKing78

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2017
Geneseo, NY
I bought a pair of silver pheasants last May, and this spring they layed eggs, I incubated them and managed to get 3 to hatch in mid May. I put them outside in a fenced in portion of their parents pen about 2 weeks ago and overnight the largest and fastest growing of the 3 got this crook in its neck. It now walks kind of sideways tword where it's head points, and doesn't like trying to fly or perch. Its eating and drinking fine, and can move it's neck to groom itself fine, but I still think that this is way to serious to just leave. Any feedback as to what to do or what this actually is would be greatly appreciated. Its the one in front.
15011105384351200570087.jpg

Yeah that's called wry neck.It would be best to dispose of this when he was younger.The 2 pictured look like males.
What breeds are you going for next?There are 15 sub species of silvers,but we will never see most of them.I have true silvers, and lewis silvers,and I have a pair of berloiz silvers lined up for this fall.I am on the waiting list for jones silvers also.
In N.H.,Tony.

Yeah that's called wry neck.It would be best to dispose of this when he was younger.The 2 pictured look like males.
What breeds are you going for next?There are 15 sub species of silvers,but we will never see most of them.I have true silvers, and lewis silvers,and I have a pair of berloiz silvers lined up for this fall.I am on the waiting list for jones silvers also.
In N.H.,Tony.
These are the lewis silvers.
In N.H.,Tony.

Attachments

• 100_0877.JPG
    100_0877.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_0714.JPG
    100_0714.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 14
In N.H.,Tony.
After posting this I did some searching of my own, and what still has me puzzled, is the fact that this happened overnight. It was perfectly normal and looked just as healthy as the other 2 when I put them outside, then I went to check them in the morning and it looked like that. I would think if it was a disease it would take a while to develop, and if it was a birth defect, it also wouldn't develop overnight. But I also don't have any wry neck experience. And if it is wry neck, is that a death sentence, because it's doing fine and is still the dominate one of the 3, it just looks wierd.

After posting this I did some searching of my own, and what still has me puzzled, is the fact that this happened overnight. It was perfectly normal and looked just as healthy as the other 2 when I put them outside, then I went to check them in the morning and it looked like that. I would think if it was a disease it would take a while to develop, and if it was a birth defect, it also wouldn't develop overnight. But I also don't have any wry neck experience. And if it is wry neck, is that a death sentence, because it's doing fine and is still the dominate one of the 3, it just looks wierd.
Wry neck is a condition from a vitamin deficiency. Usually occurs or noticable at hatching but can also develop later in the birds life.
It's belived to be a deficiency in vitamin E and selenium, either in the breeding pairs diet, if it appears at hatch or later on in it's life, if these vitamins are not in the feed your feeding.
I've had this problem in the past but not since I started adding these vitamins and minerals to their feed. Some had it at hatch and others, it developed at 6 to 14 weeks of age. They can live with it but it's not a very good life. I have a couple of birds right now, that have had wry neck from hatch, ( 1 golden the other a ring-necked) both males, that are 4 and 6 years old. I just couldn't play God with their lives.
There are treatments for this condition, you can do a search on here and find the recipe for the treatment. I tried them without any luck on reversing the wry neck condition. Others have had good results but it just didn't work for me.

Last edited:
They do usually die.Could he have hit his head on top of pen?
In N.H.,Tony.
That's what I had originally thought because there was a nearby thunder storm that night, and you could see and hear it most of the night. And it can strech and straighten it's neck, there's just a link in it. Maybe I'll just try some of the vitamin treatments and hope that it will work. Do you think I'll need to worry about the other 2 getting wry neck of that's what it is?

I agree that it might be an injury. It may heal in time but you never know. Certain diseases can also cause nerve damage that causes neck problems but I don't think that's the case here.

Back
Top Bottom