New to breeding Peafowl

1980Brooke

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2017
Hi everyone! I am new to breeding peafowl and have some questions. I have a peacock who will be 3 years old in the spring and 2 peahens (one will be 3 years old and one will be 2 years old). I understand that I can put all 3 of them in the same pen during breeding season. My questions are:
1. Do I leave the peacock in with the peahens until they are done hatching?
2. I am letting the peahens incubate, hatch and brood their own peachicks, are they both okay in the same pen to do this?
3. Will the peahens lay eggs again later in the season?

Thank you to everyone in advance, I am very new to this and want to make sure I am doing everything right :)

Our run is about 17' x 16' x 7' high and we have 2 coops, each about 12' x 4'. We free range them during the day, but I will keep them locked up during breeding season.

Last edited:
1. Do I leave the peacock in with the peahens until they are done hatching?
Yes !
2. I am letting the peahens incubate, hatch and brood their own peachicks, are they both okay in the same pen to do this?
Yes ! incubate, hatch and brood
it's not automatic ! they need calm !
3. Will the peahens lay eggs again later in the season?
if they brood their own peachicks ... no !

The problem with that small of a pen is the grass will die and it will just be mud/dirt/poop. Smaller pen means less healthy diet, more stress, more poop walked in, overall just less healthy and more likely to have disease.

They will find a place to lay, maybe right next to each other even. After they hatch there will be even more stress with more birds and moms trying to keep her kids away from everyone else. If you leave the chicks there won't be any more eggs until next spring.

Don't let me discourage you, people do this all the time, in even smaller pens. But they also have trouble with disease, especially with chicks dying. I personally just don't like to see birds living in mud and poop. Be careful in the winter too, that mud freezes on their toes and causes a lot of damage.

Back
Top Bottom